FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

2D FIR filter (from VIP Suite) only sequential?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello All, 

I'm trying to run some FIR filters on the video entering my VIP based scaling system. I'm a bit disappointed to find that (it seems) that it only works on planes in sequence. My system scales 1280x1024xRGB to 800x600xRGB and I want to keep the planes in sequence to the SOPC clock sensible. So I'm left with these chioces: 

1) Use the colour plane sequencer to split my RBG up and use a separate FIR on each plane 

2) Use the colour plane sequencer to convert my parallel planes to sequence and try to get the SOPC to run at about 270MHz 

3) Figure out how to make the 2D FIR filter work over 3 parallel planes 

I like 3) the best! Anyone know how? 

Thanks in advance for all your help! 

Brent, Sydney.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i recall this limitation, and the suggested work around which was option 1

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

ok, thanks. it's good to know that I'm not wasting my time doing 1) when there is a simpler solution.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

yeah, it will be a bit tedious but at least there's a (clever) work around. can you report back once you've tested this? i never got around to it. thanks

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I had a quick hack at it before COB yesterday and failed, I'm taking a more measured approach this morning; i'll add one plane at a time to a working system with good signal tap coverage. I'm using an EP3C40F484N8, so it's not the quickest device - I've had a hard time with timing. 

Will let you know, thanks again.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The approach of splitting the parallel RGB planes to separate streams didn't work for me, i've decided to use the polyphase scaler to do my pre-scaling filtration and I'll determine my co-efficients later on - right now I'll use the presets. I'm using a post scaling sharpen filter now and I couldn't get that to work in parallel either with the re-sequencer! I'm now resequencing to serial as my bandwidth is far lower after scaling. In serial I can use the 2D fir natively and problem solved. 

Sorry I can't shed more light on the approach... i've got to move on before I get sacked! 

Brent.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thanks for reporting back, maybe i'll take a stab at it

0 Kudos