FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5881 Discussions

ALTSHIFT_TAPS Synthesis Question (# of registers used and mapping to RAMs)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am trying to use altshift_taps to in an application where I would like to reduce the number of logic resources use in my design. Note that I am experimenting with using altshift_taps with tap distances of 3 or 4 (as small as possible), clock enable, and asynchronous reset. However, after looking at the compilation fitter report for various altshift_taps (different tap distances and for different widths of input data), the number of registers used can vary significantly. Sometimes I get large savings as intended, whereas other times I get values that are equal to the number of registers I am in fact trying to replace. 

If each type of RAM has input registers for its inputs to make the data synchronized, then that means that each RAM that altshift_taps uses should have at least data_width+address_width number of registers (I know there are more but those two should be the dominant source), right? However, I cannot figure out why I am getting such variance in the number of registers used when I try using different types of altshift_taps. If everything else in my design stays constant, and I just change the parameters in my altshift_taps, shouldn't the number of registers used stay fairly constant? 

I believe it has to do with how efficiently by design is mapping to the RAMs. For example, choosing a tap distance of 3 and a data width of 23 means that I end up using only a fraction of the available ports in the RAM whereas a different combination of tap distance and data width would use more of the available ports. How can I verify if this is the case?
0 Kudos
0 Replies