FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5748 Discussions

Altera Simple Dual Port RAM -- Read cycle latency

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hi all, 

I use in my design a altsyncram, simple dual-port RAM, generated by MegaWizard. It is 4096 words deep, with 14-bit words input, with a single clock for both Port A and B. 

When performing a basic read access operation, I observe a 2 clocks ticks latency. By that I mean, I assert my read_enable signal, with relevant address on the address bus, and data become available 2 clock ticks after read_enable assertion. 

I want it to be one clock tick only. Is it possible with that type of memory? 

FYI, when designing the core, under the 'Regs/Clkens', I unticked the 'Read Outputs q_a/q_b'.  

thanks for your help on that!
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

If read_enable is synchronous with the clock, when it's asserted (1st ), its registering is made at next clock (2nd) cycle.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Thanks,  

the problem was in my wrapper for the altsyncram. Where the core is instantiated , I changed the "outdata_reg_a" to "UNREGISTERED" and now it works, there's only one clock cycle latency before data output is valid. 

Thanks again, problem solved! 

Jiayi_H_Intel
Employee

Thanks. This answer solved the same problem in my design.