FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6359 Discussions

Altera transceiver bits swapped

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all. 

I'm working on a simple transceiver loopback test using a stratixIV GX development kit. 

I instantiated a simple ALTGX function in basic (PMA direct) mode, and i attached the altera loopback connector to the HSMC board. 

The reset sequence was done according to the reference documentation . 

The transceiver is fed by a simple counter, but on the receiver side i see the counter with the bits misaligned (eg tx: ABCDEF rx: EFABCD). 

Is this a known issue?What can I do to debug the design? 

I can provide as much info as you need, even the whole design. 

Thanks in advance 

Marco
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

this isnt a bug, you need to bitslip the data until it is aligned. generally there is a training sequence that is either spec'ed by the protocol, or is user specific.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks a lot dwesterg,  

So for a "raw" transmission i need to implement myself a synch word and a FSM to realign the received data, right? 

But if i use a protocol (eg basic x4) i see in the signaltap anlyzer that the bits keep swapping.  

let's say the synch word is "0101111100", is it sent automatically or do i need to inject it periodically in the data? 

Thanks again! 

Marco 

(EDIT) 

the answer was yes, i need to inject the synch word and use an optional port to tell the transceiver when to realign. 

tnx
0 Kudos