FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5953 Discussions

Altera transceiver bits swapped

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all. 

I'm working on a simple transceiver loopback test using a stratixIV GX development kit. 

I instantiated a simple ALTGX function in basic (PMA direct) mode, and i attached the altera loopback connector to the HSMC board. 

The reset sequence was done according to the reference documentation . 

The transceiver is fed by a simple counter, but on the receiver side i see the counter with the bits misaligned (eg tx: ABCDEF rx: EFABCD). 

Is this a known issue?What can I do to debug the design? 

I can provide as much info as you need, even the whole design. 

Thanks in advance 

Marco
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

this isnt a bug, you need to bitslip the data until it is aligned. generally there is a training sequence that is either spec'ed by the protocol, or is user specific.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks a lot dwesterg,  

So for a "raw" transmission i need to implement myself a synch word and a FSM to realign the received data, right? 

But if i use a protocol (eg basic x4) i see in the signaltap anlyzer that the bits keep swapping.  

let's say the synch word is "0101111100", is it sent automatically or do i need to inject it periodically in the data? 

Thanks again! 

Marco 

(EDIT) 

the answer was yes, i need to inject the synch word and use an optional port to tell the transceiver when to realign. 

tnx