FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6355 Discussions

Anyway to Speed up simulation time for DDR2 Controller?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,  

Is there any trick to speed up simulation time for DDR2 Controller? 

It takes me 40mins from start until LOCAL_INIT_DONE is asserted which shows memory has been initialized.  

Is there anyway to force it skip this initialization part? 

Thanks guy! 

Jeff
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Are you interested in a full scale simulation? are you testing the DDR2 controller or something that connects to it? 

You could try writing a bus functional model of the DDR2 controller - that would give massive speed ups.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Are you interested in a full scale simulation? are you testing the DDR2 controller or something that connects to it? 

You could try writing a bus functional model of the DDR2 controller - that would give massive speed ups. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi,  

Thank you Tricky . I'm testing my logic which is interfacing to the local_ side of the DDR Controller.  

It's okay to have slow simulation but the thing is that it spends 40 minutes just to complete initialization, then i can start access the DDR2 controller !!! (I wonder why I need to initialize that long for functional simulation???) 

There should be a better way, right?  

Jeff
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello jeff, 

did you try the "Quick Calibration" or "Skip calibration" settings while creating the IP in the MegaWizard? The calibration should be much faster with these options. 

Greetings, 

Martin
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I will try that!!! Thanks!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hello jeff, 

did you try the "Quick Calibration" or "Skip calibration" settings while creating the IP in the MegaWizard? The calibration should be much faster with these options. 

Greetings, 

Martin 

--- Quote End ---  

It worked. Thanks!!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi  

I wanted to know that what Application should i use to Simulate DDR2 Controller ! Is it some thing specific to Manufacturer ? Can i do a Software based simulation ? If yes which Software i need for that. If hardware is necessary then which kit should i purchase ! 

Thankyou
0 Kudos