FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6354 Discussions

Are Multiple SOPCs Possible

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am working on a video mixing task and have a system.sopc that does the mising of multiple video inputs. I would like to build a test pattern generator outside this sopc as a second sopc and use it to mimic the input video streams. Is it possible to have multiple sopc in the same Quartus project? If so, what are the naming rules?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi guy!!!!!! 

yes it possible!!!...... 

normally... you can add another sopc as a new component......... 

or add another cpu in you existing sopc...... 

cheers 

Franz Wagner...........
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks. I'll go try it. Now that I know it's possible I'll get it to work.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

you should try Qsys, it will be easier for multiple systems in one project 

i've used a single SOPC Builder system for building TPG > CVO then looped back into a CVI > ??? > CVO
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hello mr thepancake!!!!!!!  

what really is this QSYS? what does that do? 

i have a project with 2 cpus.....can i use this qsys?? 

thank you .... 

Franz Wagner
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Qsys is "SOPC Builder on steroids" :) In Qsys you can build a hierarchical design so all your systems can be instantiated inside a bigger system. In Qsys systems and components are treated as the same thing. You need to have a Quartus II subscription to use Qsys and I would recommend taking a look at the Qsys tutorial to find out more (along with the Qsys documentation in the Quartus II handbook).

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

are you sure Qsys needs a license? its listed as supported in 11.0 Web Edition: 

http://www.altera.com/products/software/quartus-ii/whats-new/swf-qts-whats-new.html
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You are correct, both versions support Qsys. I must have been spacing out when that decision was made :D

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Is it possible to have multiple sopc in the same Quartus project? If so, what are the naming rules? 

--- Quote End ---  

It is possible - just create two SOPC's and make sure you use different names of the SOPC's components, e.g. 

SOPC#1: 

sopc1_cpu 

sopc1_jtag_uart 

sopc1_onchip_memory 

SOPC#2: 

sopc2_cpu 

sopc2_jtag_uart 

sopc2_onchip_memory 

..pay special attention to the name of the onchip_memory as the name of the generated HEX-file (containing your NIOS app) that should reside in that onchip_memory should match. 

I just posted another thread involving multiple SOPCs: 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=119670#post119670
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

For the onchip memory in each system you can specify a unique name for the memory initialization file instead of relying on the automatically picked name.

0 Kudos