FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5890 Discussions

Asynchronous/ controlling clock port of a flipflop

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello All, 

I am wondering if i can explicitly define a clock port to a flip-flop(D-FF or T-FF). The functionality should be like this, I need to sample a date input with respect to a positive-rising edge of a control signal. I am aware that you can use enable port in the flip-flop but i need to sample the data line exactly at positive rising edge. 

Regards, 

Dilip
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

A flip-flop samples the data input always exactly at the positive (or negative) rising edge of it's clock input. It's no problem to use a control signal other than the system clock as clock for a FF, but then it's output is asynchronous in respect to the system clock and has to be synchronized.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I get that. I want to know how to use a control signal other than the system clock as clock for a FF. As i can see the clock port is implicit.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Oh I am sorry. All these things am talking about is concerned to Alters DSP builder on Simulink.