FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6359 Discussions

Avalon Interconnect Dynamic Bus Sizing and Bursts

sadad
Novice

Hello!

My Avalon-MM master has 32bit data width and is bursting capable.

Now i connect an Avalon-MM slave with 8bit data width which is also bursting capable.

Will a 32bit read or write access to the slave cause the automatically generated Avalon adapter to translate the 1x32bit access to a single burst of 4 x 8bit?

Or will there be 4 non bursting transfers of 8bit?

Thanks in Advance!

0 Kudos
26 Replies
sadad
Novice

Would you please mark the important regions in your screenshot? I can not see any signal regarding the burstcount. I can only see that burstcount is in an invalid state 'X'.

I checked your qsys design => the onchip ram has 32bit avalon mm bus => so there wont be any translation.

0 Kudos
sadad
Novice

Is the onchip_ram even bursting capable? I don't think so. i cant see any bustcount signals.

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

Yes, it is supported. you can't see the burst count because the screenshot does not show the whole waveforms. You can try run the design attached to see it.

Thanks

0 Kudos
sadad
Novice

in your design i could not see any burst signals to the onchip ram in the qsys schematic view , so i think there will be a bursting adapter in your interconnect.

=> would you show me a screenshot of your qsys schematic

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

Yes, it should be on the bursting adapter. You can check where does the adapter being inserted in the qsys.

in qsys -> press system -> show system with interconnect -> memory mapped interconnect

You can also explore what it have under system with interconnect.

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

any update?

0 Kudos