FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

Avalon-ST Multiplexer

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I am trying to do a multiconnection system to the TSE core. Hardware generated stream would go directly to the TSE and the other packets (ARP/ICMP/etc) should also go from the sgdma to TSE. In this case, I've added Avalon-ST mux, where one sink is connected with the sgdma out and the other is connected to my component output. 

The datasheet of avalon-st mux (http://www.altera.com/literature/ug/ug_embedded_ip.pdf) (page19-2) says: 

The multiplexer includes a simple, round-robin scheduler that selects from the next input interface that has data. Also there's mentioned, that the channel signal is optional. 

However, when I set channel signal to 0, then it drops an error that it has to be greater than zero. If I set the channel to 1, then the scheduler is not working - the channel which has data is not switched to the output. 

Use packet scheduling - enabled. 

Use high bits to indicate source ports - disabled.  

Packet support - enabled (8bits*4 words). 

How do I enable automatic packet selection? 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

do you have a channel adapter on the output of your mux?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Well yes, it was created automatically between MUX and TSE. Does the output have something common in packet scheduling?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It says in the datasheet that the valid values for number of input ports are 2-16.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, Socrates, did you find anything else squirrely with channels? I am trying to use an input of a 20-bit channel on an 8-port mux. Should be 23 bits total (Altera allows 0-31), but Quartus keeps saying it's out of range and keeps asking for 0-8 channel bits, when the Embedded IP User's guide says it should support up to 31 total.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

By the time - I wrote my own mux/scheduler and did not work out how the one from the library works.