FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

Can i use a MCU to ctrl signaltap process?

CJC
Beginner

For  remote debug,there is only a FPGA and a MCU.

This MCU is connected through internet.

Can I use this MCU to capture  signaltap waveform ?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RichardTanSY_Intel

Hi, 

Sorry, but I am not sure I get your question. What do you mean by using a MCU (microcontroller?) to control signaltap process? Could you help to describe it?

To learn more about signaltap, you can refer to the document below.  

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug-qpp-debug.pdf?wapkw=advanced%20trigger%20condition#page=22 

0 Kudos
CJC
Beginner

For reomote debug with signaltap,usually,I use a PC connecting to the FPGA,and a local PC to operate that reomte PC.

But this remote PC is useless most of time.It's a waste of resources and money.And there is a Microcontroller(ARM) on PCB board with FPGA.This Microcontroller is running Linux,512M RAM and 512M ROM.

So,may I use the microcontroller to control the FPGA signaltap,Such as Trigger Conditions/Run Analysis/Stop Analysis/Save the waveform to file?

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

I haven't seen anyone try to use a microcontroller to control the FPGA signal tap though and I would recommend using a PC instead as you will need the Quartus software for signal tap. 

You can try it with your microcontroller on your own accord if it is able to run the Quartus software.

0 Kudos
CJC
Beginner

Thank you.

In addition,is there any bridge circuit\chip\IP support exchange between Jtag and Ethernet , connecting PC via Ethernet and FPGA via Jtag?  Can Quartus detect it?

0 Kudos