FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5890 Discussions

Compilation fft library in ModelSim

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I am trying to build the fft library in ModelSim... I am following the instruction in previous posts of others to compile the file ./fft_pack_fft_90.vhd in modelsim so that i can use to compile testbench file.. 

However, when i try to compile this fft_pack_fft_90.vhd file, following error messages displayed# ** Error: C:/altera/Project/FFT_h/fft-library/fft_pack_fft_90.vhd(1): near "<byte 0x8b>": illegal character found in source# ** Error: C:/altera/Project/FFT_h/fft-library/fft_pack_fft_90.vhd(1): near "<byte 0x13>": illegal character found in source# ** Error: C:/altera/Project/FFT_h/fft-library/fft_pack_fft_90.vhd(1): near "<byte 0x9c>": illegal character found in source# ** Error: C:/altera/Project/FFT_h/fft-library/fft_pack_fft_90.vhd(1): VHDL Compiler exiting 

What is the problem with this file? How should I do so that I can compile this file successfully?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i suspect you are trying to compile the encrypted core source. you need to enable generation of the simulation model netlist in the MegaWizard, and compile the generated <instance_name>.vho in your ModelSim project instead of the <instance_name>.vhd and its associated libraries

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, using yr suggestion.. I can compile the <file name>.vho into the modelSim.  

Now I tried to compile the <file name_tb>.vhd into my project also has no problem. When I run simulation using this IP generated testbench file, it mentioned of fatal error. the error message is as below: 

# Fatal error in Process memory at C:/altera/91/modelsim_ase/win32aloem/../altera/vhdl/src/altera_mf/altera_mf.vhd line 39243# Cannot continue because of fatal error.# HDL call sequence:# Stopped at C:/altera/91/modelsim_ase/win32aloem/../altera/vhdl/src/altera_mf/altera_mf.vhd 39243 Subprogram read_my_memory# called from C:/altera/91/modelsim_ase/win32aloem/../altera/vhdl/src/altera_mf/altera_mf.vhd 40978 Process memory 

Do I need to modify the generated testbench file before compiled it in modelSim in order to run simulation?
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

can you post more of the log? are you doing the whole process manually or is there a .do file? are you trying to vcom altera_mf.vhd? ModelSim-A(S)E shouldn't require this step, the libraries are precompiled and installed

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I attached the complete log that was shown when I tried to run the simulation using the generated testbench file. 

What is the meaning of .do file? 

I am using the ModelSim starter edition, because inside the modelsim doesnt have fft_lib library, So initially I followed your advice to compile the .vho file to include the fft library to the modelsim.. after that, I compiled the <fft core>.vhd and the <test bench>.vhd in work folder. Then I run simulation on the testbench file, then i select option "add to wave all items in region" then I click on start simulation... The resulting error message occurs.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

first copy the fft_h_1n64cos.hex into the same directory as the <fft_core>.vhd 

you should not be copying stuff into the ModelSim "work" directory, but instead running the compile/vcom command on the VHDL files and storing them into the work (or other) libraries 

a .do file is a Tcl script for ModelSim which automates commands to set up your simulation
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The file fft_h_1n64cos.hex is already in the same directory of the <fft core>.vhd in my computer. I compiled everything in the ModelSim and I didnt copy any files manually into the work folder. 

My step is firstly create a new library fft_lib and compiled the file <fft core>.vho. Secondly, I compiled the <fft core_tb>.vhd in the work folder.  

After these 2 steps, I open the <fft core_tb>.vhd  

I attached again the log file. The 1st log file was shown when I double click the <fft core_tb>.vhd file in the work folder. 

The second log file was shown when I run the simulation. 

Hope you can troubleshoot my problem... Thanks.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i think the .vho should be compiled into the work library, not into its own library 

let me go through a simulation flow to see if i can figure out where your problem is. to be honest i usually use NativeLink and edit the generated .do file to my needs