FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5884 Discussions

Create a DDR3 memory through ALTMEMPHY wizard

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Good Day everyone! 

I have a troubles in understanding how to create a megacore DDR3 which must be based on ARRIAIIGX family's IC! I plan to use a memory like MT41J64M16JT-15E (2*x16bits) & EP2AGX65DF25C5 FPGA. 

I'm sure that is this forum have someone who can help & explain how to create without a mistakes "step-by-step":) 

Best Regards, 

Roman.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

So there are no examples for Arria II GX board? These are the best references.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the answer, Dear Socrates! 

Yes of course, Altera has the best on-line tranings & I like that! But most of examples based on UniPhy ... I must use the ALTMEMPHY! Besides the traning http://www.altera.com/education/training/courses/omem1110 based on UniPhy & therefore there are not so full-valued for me! 

Also I would be glad if you explain me how to place x32 DDR3 on the 3A,4A or 7A, 8A banks of EP2AGX65DF25C5? 

I tried to create the same project like this, but unfortunately I got a mistakes, I supose that I'm doing something wrong ... 

Best Regards, 

Roman.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

DDR, DDR2 and DDR3 memory devices has to be interfaced to special (dedicated) FPGA pins. Run Pin Planner and enable showing of DQ/DQS groups - You'll see which pins can be used as data pins, which pins must be DQS, etc... Also some banks are capable of faster rates, some are not, but I am not sure about Arria II, since I use Cyclone III.