FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5745 Discussions

DDR2 SDRAM with UniPHY not generating half_rate_clock

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hi there, 

I'm using Quartus 12.1 SP1 and generated a DDR2 SDRAM Controller with UniPHY via the MegaWizard Plugin Manager. 

The Memory Frequency is 400 MHz, PLL reference clock 50 MHz and the Rate on the Avalon-MM interface is set to Half. So I should have a 200MHz clock on the afi_clk pin. 

After I compiled the core once, I wanted to use the Half Rate Clock for another entity, controlling the USB Chip on my DE4 Board. So I checked the Box at "Enable AFI half rate clock". 

After conecting this clock pin to my Entity I got errors like 

--- Quote Start ---  

Warning (14130): Reduced register "ISP1761Control:ISP1761Control_INST|ISP1761HAL:isp_hal|state.READING1" with stuck clock port to stuck value GND 

Warning (14110): No clock transition on "ISP1761Control:ISP1761Control_INST|ISP1761HAL:isp_hal|state.WRITING1" register due to stuck clock or clock enable 

--- Quote End ---  

indicating there is no Clock on afi_half_clock. In the RTL Viewer afi_half_clock is driven by GND. 

I already deleted my db and incremental db folders and did a Analysis/Synthesis, but that did'nt change anything. Also running the pin_assignments script again didn't change anything. 

Am I missing something, or does this feature simply not work. 

Thanks in advance 

Felix
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

FWIW, I can confirm the above; these are my observations (Quartus 12.1 sp1, 12.1 uniphy, ddr2, stratix III) 

o the afi clock is active, hopefully it runs at half rate if its a half rate uniphy and at full rate if its a full rate uniphy consistent with the Uniphy functional description doc 

o the afi half clock always runs at 0 Hz, independent of whether its enabled or not in the megawizard gui
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

FWIW, I think I see that this happens because of generated code as follows; seems to be independent of half-rate / full-rate controller setting. 

In <instance>/synthesis/submodules/<instance>_mem_if_ddr2_emif_pll0.sv we have some assignments. 

assign afi_clk = pll_afi_clk; 

assign afi_half_clk = 1'b0; 

This is service request 10945983.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

You can refer to the workaround for this issue: 

Problems with simulation of DDR2 SDRAM Controller with UniPHY 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38337