FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP

DDR2 with Cyclone V

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Have anyone been able to control a DDR2 SDRAM using the UniPHY Megacore IP from Cyclone V?? 

Im trying to do so, I have use this same memory with a Cyclone III before and im using the same circuit design, same time parameter, everything. But no matter how much I tried, the memory seem to not respond ( I tried 2 different FPGAS and 2 different memories)  

Do any one has some idea about this? Has anyone controlled a DDR2 with Cyclone V? 

Thanks all for the nice help, 

Bart
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Helo, 

Do you have our Cyclone V dev kit? Did you try to run the simulation first using the generated example design? Make sure the PHY calibration is passing as well as the user mode (read / write). 

After that you may jump into hardware testing and you may use the EMIF toolkit to check if your design is working. 

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello guys, 

I am also facing difficulties to get the DDR2 uniphy controller work. Calibration is failing at the last steps: "Write Calibration - Per-bit write deskew failure". (message from EMIF toolkit) 

Any idea what I should check?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Can you try to reduce the interface speed for example from 400MHz to 200MHz? 

And full compilation did you see any timing violation reported inside Quartus II?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I reduced the speed interface to 200MHz, I can validate the timing, but the calibration still fails. 

So that I can pass the calibration I've had to configure the "Advanced Clock Phase Control" parameter: 

"Additional Command And Clock Phase : 115 degrees". 

But then the timing analysis fails. 

Altera support answers was: Soft controller is not suppported for your speed grade 8 CycloneV (5CSEBA6U23C8).  

Very happy to know that at this step of the project...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Did you tried to run RTL simulation using modelsim or any other simulation tool? 

Check if the cal_successful signal is asserted or not.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I generated the "example project" from Qsys and ran the simulation on Modelsim. Calibration completed and the example ended successfully.

0 Kudos