FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

Altddio - rgmii

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I'm preparing design on Cyclone V with RGMII connection. I read AN 477 ("Designing RGMII Interfaces with FPGAs and HardCopy ASICs") about it and I understand what is necessary to do. I miss only one major information. It is necessary to use DQ/DQS pins on FPGA for TXD and RXD pins? 

Thanks, 

Milan
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I believe it should work with regular DDR I/O. (Cyclone V and 28nm is getting slow enough with source-synch I/O that it's not a slam dunk, but I believe I've seen it done.)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

OK, I can connect RX and TX data on DQ pins but how about RX_CLK and TX_CLK? Has they be connected on dedicated CLK pin or on the DQS pin? I can imagine, that the receive clock is on DQS pin and transmit clock is on dedicated CLK pin, but I'm not sure that it is right solution.