FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

DDR2 with cyclone IV E

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I would like to use a ddr2 with a cyclone IV E in my design. 

I choose the most available ddr2 512Mb x16 at micron : MT47H32M16HR-25E. 

Now i have to choose an IP to manage it. "DDR2 controller with altmemphy" seems to be the only IP for cyclone IV E but it doesn't have presets for MT47H32M16HR-25E. 

2 questions :  

- is it simple to set parameters in this IP / is the IP compatible with this DDR2 model 

- I have a niosII license, does it include the DDR2 license ? 

Thanks, 

Sebastien.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I did quiet the same thing: 

- is it simple to set parameters in this IP / is the IP compatible with this DDR2 model 

I didn't have any problem. I just need to adjust the CAS lantency 

- I have a niosII license, does it include the DDR2 license ? 

You should to compile your design. If you get a file name: your_project_time_limited.sof 

you have to bye the license. You can buy the embedded IP pack. 

2 advises (it was my errors): 

+ You should be carefull with the routing. Track must have approcimatively the same length. 

+ Don't forget to focus on RDN and RUP pins ! 

Good luck
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for answers and advises. 

Now my nios license works. I don't know why Quartus was generating time limited programming files for DDR IP, the license was set in Quartus (and works) months before...
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Help!! 

What did you change the CAS times to? I am using the same memory on cyclone 4 and cant get it to talk at all :( 

Thanks