cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

DMA Controller Burs t Mode ... can it be enabled by software

Hi Team, 

I have been using the DMA Controller for several years and have Burst and Non-Burst use cases ... to date , I have had two separate configurations but since I have space in the Stratix, I am implementing two controllers , one synthesized for Burst mode enabled and the other with Burst mode not enabled. 

Am I missing some software control that will allow a Burst mode DMA controller to support Non-Burst mode ? 

Thanks in Advance,  

Bob.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

The embedded IP user guide describes how this all works. In short, yes the DMA controllers support burst mode but registers need to be set to control everything.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

--- Quote Start ---  

The embedded IP user guide describes how this all works. In short, yes the DMA controllers support burst mode but registers need to be set to control everything. 

--- Quote End ---  

Galfonz, thanks for the info. I have been using the "DMA Controller Core" for several years with Burst Mode enabled as well as not enabled. 

I am familiar with the Embedded Peripheral IP User Guide and checked the latest UG-010852016.05.03., Chapter 23.  

..... The question above was not if the "DMA Controller Core" supported Burst Mode , but if once Burst Mode was enabled as a parameter "Enable Burst Transfers", was the behavior controllable by software . If it is controllable via Software, I can combine one two FPGA configurations into one and have the driver select Burst Mode. 

The workaround I am trying is to instantiate two DMA Controllers one for Burst Mode and one for non Burst Mode to support both use cases. 

Thanks, Bob