FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6359 Discussions

DMA Controller Burs t Mode ... can it be enabled by software

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Team, 

I have been using the DMA Controller for several years and have Burst and Non-Burst use cases ... to date , I have had two separate configurations but since I have space in the Stratix, I am implementing two controllers , one synthesized for Burst mode enabled and the other with Burst mode not enabled. 

Am I missing some software control that will allow a Burst mode DMA controller to support Non-Burst mode ? 

Thanks in Advance,  

Bob.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The embedded IP user guide describes how this all works. In short, yes the DMA controllers support burst mode but registers need to be set to control everything.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

The embedded IP user guide describes how this all works. In short, yes the DMA controllers support burst mode but registers need to be set to control everything. 

--- Quote End ---  

Galfonz, thanks for the info. I have been using the "DMA Controller Core" for several years with Burst Mode enabled as well as not enabled. 

I am familiar with the Embedded Peripheral IP User Guide and checked the latest UG-010852016.05.03., Chapter 23.  

..... The question above was not if the "DMA Controller Core" supported Burst Mode , but if once Burst Mode was enabled as a parameter "Enable Burst Transfers", was the behavior controllable by software . If it is controllable via Software, I can combine one two FPGA configurations into one and have the driver select Burst Mode. 

The workaround I am trying is to instantiate two DMA Controllers one for Burst Mode and one for non Burst Mode to support both use cases. 

Thanks, Bob
0 Kudos