FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

DSP Builder not recognizing Fixed Point Toolbox License

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

I recently installed DSP Builder and upon simulating an Design using the advanced Blockset, I realized that my Matlab license is missing the Fixed-Point Toolbox.  

However, after installing said Toolbox, I still get an Error when trying to simulate any design using fixed point data types: 

--- Quote Start ---  

'demo_iir/data_type_Conversion1' requested use of data type 'sfix18_En17'. Use of this data type requires a fixed-point license, but license checkout failed. To use this model without a fixed-point license, select "Fixed-Point Tool" under "Fixed-Point" from the model's Tools menu. Select the root model in Model Hierarchy. Set "Fixed-point instrumentation mode" to be "Force off", "Data type override" to be "Double" and "Data type override applies to" to be "All numeric types". This replaces most uses of fixed-point data types with floating-point doubles. In rare cases, a few attempts to use restricted data types may still exist. Reconfiguring to use floating-point types and/or inserting Typecasts is necessary in these cases. 

--- Quote End ---  

Here are my License information from MATLAB:  

--- Quote Start ---  

ver 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

MATLAB Version 7.13.0.564 (R2011b) 

MATLAB License Number:# ##### 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Version 6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1) 

Java VM Version: Java 1.6.0_17-b04 with Sun Microsystems Inc. Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM mixed mode 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

MATLAB Version 7.13 (R2011b)  

Simulink Version 7.8 (R2011b)  

Altera DSP Builder Advanced Blockset Flow Tools Version 12.0sp2 Build 263  

Altera DSP Builder Standard Blockset Version 12.0 SP2 Build 263 

DSP System Toolbox Version 8.1 (R2011b)  

Fixed-Point Toolbox Version 3.4 (R2011b)  

Signal Processing Toolbox Version 6.16 (R2011b)  

--- Quote End ---  

What can I do? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

cheers roman
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This is not a DSP Builder issue, but a Simulink one. 

You're missing the "Simulink Fixed Point" toolbox/license.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for your reply! 

I was missing it in the beginning, but now I installed the toolbox and it shows up in the matlab version information. (see above)  

Only DSP Builder does not seem to recognize it.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The ver output you showed says "Fixed-Point Toolbox Version 3.4 (R2011b)". I don't think this is the same as "Simulink Fixed Point". 

Trust me, the error message you listed is not from DSP Builder. It's from Simulink. DSP Builder is trying to set the type of one of its ports to fixed point and Simulink is denying it because a license is missing.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I did not know, that there was a difference... I will contact MathWorks for help regarding these toolboxes. 

Thank you very much for your Help!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello everyone i'm working with the design example model called: 1-Carrier, 2-Antenna WCDMA Digital Up Converter & I receive similar error with the Fixed Point License, that is the error:  

License checkout failed. 

License Manager Error -18 

Make sure the license file on the MATLAB client matches the license file of the license server and that the license server has been started properly. 

Troubleshoot this issue by visiting:  

http://www.mathworks.com/support/lme/r2010b/18 

Diagnostic Information: 

Feature: fixed_point_toolbox  

License path: C:\License\License_dsp.dat;C:\Users\Alien\AppData\Roaming\MathWorks\MATLAB\R2010b_licenses;C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2010b\licenses\license.dat;C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2010b\licenses\network.lic  

FLEXnet Licensing error: -18,147. 

I tried changing some properties in the Fixed Point Tool like recommend matlab summary: Which consists in edit some parameters like "force off" in Fixed-Point instrumentation mode and changing to "double" in data type override and apply to "all numeric types" but i obtain the same result. 

Someone have run this model? 

¡I appreciate your help to fix that! 

Note: I attached a image capture of this error 

Alex.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Something is wrong with your license server. The advice MATLAB is giving you is how to disable the use of fixed point so that you can work without a license. Since DSP Builder requires fixed point licenses, this is not going to work. 

You need to sort out your license, which probably means talking to Mathworks technical support or searching their forums.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I agree. This is a MathWorks issue. In MATLAB click on help and update license. You require the Fixed Point license as well as the Simulink Fixed Point license. Once you have both then the model should work. I works for me.

0 Kudos