FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6385 Discussions

DSP Builder to ModelSim

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi , im just perform RTL simulations with the ModelSim software. I add a TestBench block to my DSP builder model. Then I get the following error: 

# ** Error: (vsim-3817) Formal port "clk" declared in the entity is not in the component. 

# Time: 0 ps Iteration: 0 Region: /tb_dpt2/dut File: ../DSPBuilder_dpt2_import/dpt2.vho 

# ** Error: (vsim-3817) Formal port "reset" declared in the entity is not in the component. 

# Time: 0 ps Iteration: 0 Region: /tb_dpt2/dut File: ../DSPBuilder_dpt2_import/dpt2.vho 

# ** Error: (vsim-3817) Formal port "data_in1" declared in the entity is not in the component. 

# ** Error: (vsim-3817) Formal port "data_in2" declared in the entity is not in the component. 

# ** Error: (vsim-3817) Formal port "data_in3" declared in the entity is not in the component. 

# ** Error: (vsim-3817) Formal port "data_in4" declared in the entity is not in the component. 

# ** Error: (vsim-3817) Formal port "data_in5" declared in the entity is not in the component. 

# ** Error: (vsim-3817) Formal port "data_in6" declared in the entity is not in the component. 

# ** Error: (vsim-3817) Formal port "data_in7" declared in the entity is not in the component. 

# ** Error: (vsim-3817) Formal port "data_in8" declared in the entity is not in the component. 

# ** Error: (vsim-3732) ./hdl/tb_dpt2.vhd(287): No default binding for component at 'dut'. 

# (Port 'input3' is not on the entity.) 

# Region: /tb_dpt2/dut 

# ** Error: (vsim-3732) ./hdl/tb_dpt2.vhd(287): No default binding for component at 'dut'. 

# (Port 'output4' is not on the entity.) 

# (Port 'input7' is not on the entity.) 

# (Port 'aclr' is not on the entity.) 

# (Port 'input8' is not on the entity.) 

# (Port 'clock' is not on the entity.) 

# (Port 'input4' is not on the entity.) 

# (Port 'output5' is not on the entity.) 

# (Port 'output1' is not on the entity.) 

# (Port 'output6' is not on the entity.) 

# (Port 'input5' is not on the entity.) 

# (Port 'input' is not on the entity.) 

# (Port 'output' is not on the entity.) 

# (Port 'dpt2_subsystem_output8' is not on the entity.) 

# (Port 'input2' is not on the entity.) 

# (Port 'output2' is not on the entity.) 

# (Port 'input6' is not on the entity.) 

# (Port 'output7' is not on the entity.) 

# (Port 'input1' is not on the entity.) 

# (Port 'output3' is not on the entity.) 

# ** Fatal: Bad library format, library not compiled with ALTERA compiler. 

#  

# Time: 0 ps Iteration: 0 Instance: /tb_dpt2/clock File: UNKNOWN Line: 293 

# FATAL ERROR while loading design 

# Error loading design 

# Unrecognized dataset prefix: sim 

can someone help me with this? thanks !!!
0 Kudos
13 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It might help if you gave a little more information. Does your design compile in Quartus? Does it simulate correctly in Simulink? 

Perhaps post a screenshot of your design if not the design (cut down as much as possible to demonstrate the failure) itself.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

It might help if you gave a little more information. Does your design compile in Quartus? Does it simulate correctly in Simulink? 

Perhaps post a screenshot of your design if not the design (cut down as much as possible to demonstrate the failure) itself. 

--- Quote End ---  

thanks for the reply! 

yes it compiled smoothly in quartus and run perfectly in simulink. and all the port name mention in the error are from the attached vhdl file.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is the name of your original VHDL file and the model the same? 

It kind of looks like it's loading your top-level VHDL as the HDL Import or vice versa. If so try to make sure that the names do not clash.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Is the name of your original VHDL file and the model the same? 

It kind of looks like it's loading your top-level VHDL as the HDL Import or vice versa. If so try to make sure that the names do not clash. 

--- Quote End ---  

hmmm..im pretty sure there is no clash between the name of the file and the model...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I should have clarified it's the name of the entity in the file not the file itself that will clash. 

In your original log you have tb_dpt2, which seems to indicate your original model was called dpt2. It also references DSPBuilder_dpt2_import/dpt2.vho, which would indicate you imported a file called dpt2.vhd via HDL Import. 

Also you might have some stale files around. Try deleting the DSPBuilder_dpt2_import and tb_dpt2 directories and regenerate.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I should have clarified it's the name of the entity in the file not the file itself that will clash. 

In your original log you have tb_dpt2, which seems to indicate your original model was called dpt2. It also references DSPBuilder_dpt2_import/dpt2.vho, which would indicate you imported a file called dpt2.vhd via HDL Import. 

Also you might have some stale files around. Try deleting the DSPBuilder_dpt2_import and tb_dpt2 directories and regenerate. 

--- Quote End ---  

thank you very much! i got this problem solved!!  

in the model, i set the inputs through the matlab function blockset with function defined as: 

double(rgb2gray(imread('pic.tif'))) 

but why cant this value been shown in the modelsim?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

and i have the following error message when i Compare Simulink Result with Modelsim: 

Error: Error opening HDL output file dpt2_Output.capture.msim :: Missing data type 'null' in file dpt2_Output.capture.msim 

Error: Mismatch between ModelSim and Simulink outputs. Please refer to the DSPBuilder trouble-shooting guide for more information.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Have you consulted the DSP Builder trouble-shooting guide?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Have you consulted the DSP Builder trouble-shooting guide? 

--- Quote End ---  

yes, just checked and do some checking on google. havent found anything useful so far
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think the missing data type message about the capture.msim files is because modelsim failed halfway through. Are there perhaps more error messages further up?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

attached is the message that i obtained when simulate in modelsim

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Nothing interesting in there it seems. Not much else I can do without the design itself.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Btw, have you tried compiling your DSP Builder design in Signal Compiler yet? Judging from the error statement, there is a chance that your IP cache folder got corrupted (it happens from time to time, especially when you migrate from one version of DSP Builder to another)... 

I would suggest the following: 

1. Delete the existing IP cache folder(s) in your computer... Go to C:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\  

--> Inside that folder, you should see a .altera.quartus folder  

2. Delete that folder and restart your DSP Builder... see if you still see the same error... 

Best of luck.
0 Kudos