FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6355 Discussions

Data compatibility between simulink and altera blocks

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

first le me ask you, if it is possible to mix the simulink and altera blocks in one design? 

So can the dsp builder translate the standard simulink blocks into a vhdl file or qurtus project? 

So far, I think it should work, but there is a problem between the data format, i cannot solve until now. 

For example, I use an altera input with signed integer 32bit (its displayed as INT_32). 

Now, i want to drive a simulink block with the same data format.  

But simulink doesn`t accept this data. Furthermore, simulink displays signed integer 32bit as int32. 

So what causes the incompatibility? Both data formats are definitly signed integer 32bit. 

How can this be solved? 

Thank you in advance.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

as far as I know, they are no directly compatable. 

DSP Builder can only generate VHDL for dsp builder blocks. You need to use simulunk HDL coder (which is an extra licence from mathworks) to generate HDL from simulink blocks. 

Simulink blocks also require the fixed point toolbox (another licence extra).
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for your quick reply. 

Unfortunately these are no good news. 

I looked forward to use simulink because of the good diagnostic functions and the plot function of matlab.  

So, in Quartus these possibilities are very limited. 

As mentioned in an other post (http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3462), the altera I/Os were used to translate the simulink data format into alteras data format. So it might be possible, to define a altera data entrance into simulink, doing the total processing in simulink and get the data out via altera outputs? Or did i missunderstand this post? 

In my example design, i could get the data into simulink, but i cannot convert it, that the altera output pin accepts the data.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

you drive dspbuilder model from matlab variables and can capture its outputs into matlab. This way you can do whatever analysis in matlab.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for your reply @kaz 

You mentioned, that i use quartus, then define I/Os in Simulink and capture the data?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Mixing simulink and DSP builder is fine within the same top level module, but you need to keep the DSP builder elements together inside their own blocks with no simulink blocks next to them. DSP builder parts need to be self contained.

0 Kudos