FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5878 Discussions

Difference between "SDRAM Controller Core" and "Tri-State SDRAM Core"

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hello, 

In the "embedded peripherals ip user guide" (UG-01085, 2016.12.19) it is stated on the page 36: "the altera sdram tri-state controller has the same functionality as the sdram controller core with the addition of the tri-state feature". 

Nevertheless the interfaces to sdram modules of these 2 controllers are different. 

For example sdram controller core has no dqm (Data Input/Output Mask) inputs. 

The sdram module on my de1 board has these inputs - dqml (x16 Lower Byte, Input/Output Mask) and dqmh (x16 Upper Byte, Input/Output Mask). 

It seems that these signal aren't static, i.e. they change theirs states during data transfer. 

So, my question is: should I add custom control of these signals in the top wrapper module (module that wraps Qsys module instantiation) or use sdram tri-state controller, that, according to user guide (but i didn't check yet), has these controls. 

Thank in advance. 

Here below - block diagram of the SDRAM module with highlighted dqml/dqmh signals. 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=13332&stc=1
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Resolved. Although the DQML, DQMH ports aren't displayed in Qsys, they appear when system is generated.