FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

Does Generic QUAD SPI controller II support EPCQ-A devices

WGao1
Beginner

We use a EPCQ64A to configure a Cyclone V device. Now we plan to program it in field by an external processor. We managed to use Intel FPGA Generic QUAD SPI Controller II Core to erase and read EPCQ64A, but have trouble to write to it. As far as I understand, the IP builds on top of the Intel FPGA ASMI2 PARALLEL IP which should be able to support EPCQ64A. Am I right?

For the write operation, I believe the IP supports direct flash memory access. I checked signal waveforms on the Avalon-MM Slave Interface for Memory Access and they are all correct., but data is not written into the chip. I also noticed that signal avl_mem_waitrequest never goes high. Do I need to perform other operations before/after write data to the IP?

I have tried both Quartus Prime Standard edition v17.1 and v18.1.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ShafiqY_Intel
Employee

Hi WGao1,

Generic QUAD SPI Controller II does not support EPCQ-A device.

For EPCQ-A device, we recommend to use Serial Flash Controller II Intel FPGA IP.

For write operation, make sure you set Write Enable Operation first. Then, Disable all Sector Protect. Then, perform Write operation.

Refer to my write operation below (I'm using Cyclone 10 LP, EPCQ64 device & Serial Flash Controller II Intel FPGA IP). write EPCQ controller II.jpg

Thanks.

0 Kudos
WGao1
Beginner
Hi WolfGang, The Serial Flash Controller II Intel FPGA IP is not listed in the IP Catalog. Where can I download it? We have managed to program some data into the memory with Generic QUAD SPI Controller II by choosing STANDARD I/O mode. Is it equivalent to Serial Flash Controller II Intel FPGA IP? Many thanks Wei
0 Kudos
ShafiqY_Intel
Employee

Hi WGao1,

The Serial Flash Controller II Intel FPGA IP is not listed in the IP Catalog. Where can I download it?

Go to Tools -->Platform Designer. The IP should show in IP catalog in Platform Designer.

Yes, if you not using QUAD mode, you can use Generic QUAD SPI Controller II with EPCQ-A device.

Thanks

0 Kudos