FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6354 Discussions

Dynamic Partial Reconfiguration on Stratix V

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello everyone,  

I want to dynamic reconfigure a partition of my design. 

I have followed these steps so far: 

a) make a revision of my project and assign the different personas for each revision. 

b) make a region and enable the partial reconfiguration option from Logiclock Region window 

c) make a partition for my re-configurable part and enable the multiple personas for this region 

d) instantiate IP Partial Reconfiguration as internal host. 

I don't know what to do next! Please could anyone provide some instructions for the DPR IP used as internal host? 

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Onoufrios, 

did you already managed to convert .msf abd .sof to the partial rbf files? 

This is how i do within a POST_FLOW_SCRIPT_FILE: 

set path "output_files" set binaries "${path}/rbf" file mkdir ${binaries} set start_point x40y2 run_cmd "quartus_cpf -p $path/${revision}.${start_point}.msf $path/${revision}.sof $path/${revision}.${start_point}.pmsf" set options "" # lappend options "-o use_scrub=on" # lappend options "-o enhanced_bitstream_compression=on" # lappend options "-o bitstream_decompression_during_pr=on" set target_file "$binaries/${revision}.${start_point}.rbf" run_cmd "quartus_cpf -c $path/${revision}.${start_point}.pmsf ${target_file}"  

The PR IP has two Registers, PR_CSR and PR_DATA. 

[LIST] 

set PR_CSR to 0x1 (start single clock PR) 

[/LIST] 

[LIST] 

copy partial rbf to if->PR_DATA register 

[/LIST] 

[LIST] 

check PR_CSR for status 

[/LIST] 

I guess you know this document already: 

https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/literature/ug/ug-partrecon.pdf 

Additionally you need at least for CycloneV an extra PR license and you have to enable PR in quartus.ini. Don't know about StratixV.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi Onoufrios, 

did you already managed to convert .msf abd .sof to the partial rbf files? 

This is how i do within a POST_FLOW_SCRIPT_FILE: 

set path "output_files" set binaries "${path}/rbf" file mkdir ${binaries} set start_point x40y2 run_cmd "quartus_cpf -p $path/${revision}.${start_point}.msf $path/${revision}.sof $path/${revision}.${start_point}.pmsf" set options ""# lappend options "-o use_scrub=on"# lappend options "-o enhanced_bitstream_compression=on"# lappend options "-o bitstream_decompression_during_pr=on" set target_file "$binaries/${revision}.${start_point}.rbf" run_cmd "quartus_cpf -c $path/${revision}.${start_point}.pmsf ${target_file}"  

The PR IP has two Registers, PR_CSR and PR_DATA. 

• set PR_CSR to 0x1 (start single clock PR)  

• copy partial rbf to if->PR_DATA register  

• check PR_CSR for status  

I guess you know this document already: 

https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/literature/ug/ug-partrecon.pdf 

Additionally you need at least for CycloneV an extra PR license and you have to enable PR in quartus.ini. Don't know about StratixV. 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks for your answer.  

I am aware of this document you referred. I have the extra license for Stratix V for partial reconfiguration.  

No, I haven't yet extracted the .sof/.msf/.rbf files yet because I first need to understand how to interact with the PR IP. 

From your answer I understood that I need to make a ROM to store the rbf file (inside the FPGA) and a parser to feed the the PR IP along with the PR_CSR register (timings are depicted in the doc above).  

An another question I have is: should I create a wrapper entity that will freeze all internal/external signals around my re-configurable entity? I only use one persona.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Someone needs to write the partial rbf to the IP, this could be a Nios or HPS System, or a simple statemachine from internal/external ROM. 

As the StratixV has up to 2640 M20k Blocks you may be able to store one small PR partition :-). 

A freeze wrapper would be a good design, but just for bench testing it works also without.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for your info, unfortunately I stuck again.  

I tried today to convert the .rbf file to hexout memory file, in order to store it in a memory(ROM) and I could not find the way.  

Do you know how to convert it?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I would prefer a mif file, the format is very easy. 

A simple Matlab example is shown here, this could be easily ported to C, tcl, ... 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27934 

You can also use srec_cat from the srecord Tools: 

srec_cat dummy.rbf -binary -o dummy.mif -Memory_Initialization_File 

I don't know if Altera provides a Tool for this simple task. I would use a small tcl loop, which can be easily started automatically during the build.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I would prefer a mif file, the format is very easy. 

A simple Matlab example is shown here, this could be easily ported to C, tcl, ... 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27934 

You can also use srec_cat from the srecord Tools: 

srec_cat dummy.rbf -binary -o dummy.mif -Memory_Initialization_File 

I don't know if Altera provides a Tool for this simple task. I would use a small tcl loop, which can be easily started automatically during the build. 

--- Quote End ---  

I have a Stratix V GX Transceiver Development Kit. This board has a MAX CPLD device to configure the FPGA from a flash memory. As far I know the PFL (Parallel Flash Loader) IP does not support .rbf files. Do you know how can I implement the DPR from the flash memory? Any ideas?  

Thanks a lot for you help. 

Onoufrios
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Onoufrios, 

sorry, i do not use Stratix. Can't you use a Nios as internal host and just copy the Data from the Flash?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi Onoufrios, 

sorry, i do not use Stratix. Can't you use a Nios as internal host and just copy the Data from the Flash? 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks for your feedback. 

From the design's requirements I cannot use the internal host feature in the DPR IP. The device should be reconfigured from the IO Reconfiguration Pins. For any further suggestion please answer to my post.  

Onoufrios
0 Kudos