FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

E-Tile TX/RX out clock constraint

MichaelB
New Contributor I

Hi, 

I've defined a data rate in my E-Tile IP and I want to switch the data rate using the E-Tile Avalon reconfiguration interface by setting the internal PLL multiplier.

Now I have chosen the highest data rate in E-Tile and want to constraint the lowest data rate.

Do I have to set the constraint to the output clock of the E-Tiles?

Which clock do I have to constraint here?

I already tried a lot of combinations e.g.: 

create_clock -period 3.531 -name freq_low [get_ports {u0|e_tile_phy_0|e_tile_phy_0|g_xcvr_native_insts[0].ct3_xcvr_native_inst|inst_ct3_xcvr_channel|out_pld_pcs_rx_clk_out1_dcm}]

This statement won't be recognised but I can see the port in my tech-map.

If I create a clock_group I can use [get_clocks {u0|e_tile_phy_*|e_tile_phy_*|rx_clkout|ch*}] but for create_clock I have to specify a port/pin/etc. instead of using an existing clock.

How can I apply the create_clock constraint to my E-Tile out clocks for the lowest data rate?

Best regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
1 Solution
SyafieqS

Michael,

Apologize for the late reply on this. You can try to refer to the following UG to find some of the E-Tile hard IP example designs which were validated by engineering.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug-dex-s10-etile-hip-ethernet.pdf

See if it is helpful.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Kenny_Tan

What device that you were using?

What you need to do is create clock at the port and use derive_pll_clocks to generate the correct output clocks.

You can also open up timing analyzer to put the derive_pll_clocks inside the tcl command. It will show you a list of generated clock inside.

Btw, if you want to change to different clock unit. Here is the command:

set_time_format -unit ns -decimal_places 3

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

Also, can you double check the user guide and reference design for the constrain needed?

0 Kudos
MichaelB
New Contributor I

Hi Kenny,

I'm using the Stratix 10 SM16BEU2 device.

"What you need to do is create clock at the port and use derive_pll_clocks to generate the correct output clocks."

Which port should have this create_clock constraint?

I already tried a lot ports in the E-Tile native to constraint but without success.

Best regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
MichaelB
New Contributor I

Hi, 

is there anyone who could help me with this topic?

I'm still not able to assign any create_clock constraint on the E-Tile TX/RX output clock to support different frequencies and data rates.

Best regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Hi Michael,

I'm checking for some user guide/sample design for reference how to constraint this. Will keep you posted.

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Michael,

Apologize for the late reply on this. You can try to refer to the following UG to find some of the E-Tile hard IP example designs which were validated by engineering.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug-dex-s10-etile-hip-ethernet.pdf

See if it is helpful.

0 Kudos