FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5880 Discussions

EMIF ip fetches error while simulating in vcs

DChak3
Beginner

I tried to simulate the emif IP, but it shows below error:

227213 ns: ERROR: iossm_bf_cpu_cpu_test_bench/ihp_read is 'x'

$stop at time 227212598000 Scope: unex_block_design.emif_s10_0.emif_s10_0.arch.arch_inst.io_ssm_inst.io_ssm.inst.PROTECTED File: PROTECTED Line: 0

i used vcs 2019 sp2

generated for device 1SD280PT2F55E2VGS1 from quartus 19.4

steps used :

1.generated the default IP

2.go to sim folder>synopsys vcs

3.run command sh vcs_setup.sh

0 Kudos
7 Replies
NurAida_A_Intel
Employee

Dear DChak3,

Thank you for joining this Intel Community.

I believed your design contain Intel® Stratix® 10 HPS EMIF thus you will see this error is generated. It is a known issue as Stratix 10 HPS EMIF simulation is not supported.

You may refer to this KDB link for more details -->

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/emif/2...

Thanks

Regards,

Aida

DChak3
Beginner

Hi nuraidaA

I am not using Intel® Stratix® 10 HPS EMIF instead I am using External Memory Interfaces Intel stratix 10 FPGA IP. It is simulating if I am using this IP with other bunch of IP's. But while I was trying to create libraries using the script provided by quartus. When i select the option from tools>Generate simulator script for IP.

I ran the script and it shows error mentioned above when it reaches to simulate EMIF IP.

Reference snapshot attached. The blue circled one is used in the design.

emif_IP_snapshot.PNG

NurAida_A_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I did internal searching and found that the simulation tools supported for VCS Quartus version 19.4 is O-2018.09-SP2-2 (64-bit Linux only).

Can you try to swicth to vcs 2018 sp2 and see if the error still replicate ?

Regards,

Aida

alinave
Beginner

Hi Aida,

I see the same problem while simulating the EMIF design which does not contain the HPS core. I am using xcelium2019.09_s007 and here is the error I see during configuration:

170038 ns: ERROR: iossm_bf_cpu_cpu_test_bench/ihp_read is 'x'

Simulation stopped via $stop(1) at time 170037750 PS + 3

xcelium> exit

Can you help with this?

Thanks,

Naved

alinave
Beginner

PS: The device is Stratix 10 GX which anyway does not have HPS and the Quartus version is 19.4.

NurAida_A_Intel
Employee

Hi @alinave​ ,

Sincerely sorry for the delay due to long holiday in my region.

Have you try to used this supported tools version for Xcelium for Quartus 19.4?

xcelium.PNG

Regards,

Aida

NurAida_A_Intel
Employee

Also may I know which memory simulation model are you using (for example Micron or etc)?