FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6359 Discussions

EPCS controller questions

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have a couple general questions about the EPCS controller core for a cyclone III device. According to the documentation "only one EPCS serial flash controller core can be instantiated in each FPGA design. why? On cyclone III devices you can connect the core to a flash that is not on the dedicated AS configuration pins.  

I have a board with 2 epcs devices connected to it. 1 is connected as the configuration device, the other is connected to gpio pins and intended use was for storing calibration data and crash dumps.  

I can instantiate 2 epcs controller cores, they have a new pin called 

"ds_MISO_from_the_epcs_flash_controller" 

when I instantiate just one core, I do not get this pin. What is the function of this pin? It does not exist in the documentation.  

by the way, when I instantiate controllers for each epcs by themselves, they both work and do not contain this pin. 

any ideas?:confused:
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

the signal can be ignored, it wasn't supposed to be ported out and should be fixed in 10.0+ 

i agree you should be able to use multiple EPCS in CIII, but i haven't tried
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

ok, thanks! I am going to give it a try, I think it will work no problem. The only limitation could be the HAL drivers, but even those I believe get fed unique pointers to the flash description structures. I'll post back and let you know. :)

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

ah yes, the drivers

0 Kudos