FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5886 Discussions

Error compiling Altera Uart 16550 IP Core Cyclone V

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

+ Quartus 17 Prime Lite edition 

+ Windows 7 64 bits 

+ Altera 16550 Compatible UART 

I'm trying to use this module via avalon/axi bus. I added the module via qsys with no problems and I compiled a C software using the HWLIB and SoCAL libraries delivered by Altera.  

When I try to compile the project I get this error: 

Error (210039): File xxxxxx/de10nano_uart_16550/quartus/output_files/led_test_time_limited.sof contains one or more time-limited megafunctions that support the OpenCore Plus feature that will not work after the hardware evaluation time expires. Refer to the Messages window for evaluation time details.  

I understand what the error means but I think there is a mistake here given that I'm using the IP Cores delivered with Quartus and no other sources, besides there is no info on the documentation[1] about this megafunction being limited or how can we buy it. 

It generates a limited sof file which works OK while being connected but some implementations are not working (like FIFO) 

This is the first time I get a problem using Qsys + IP cores so I guess it is a bug on Quartus ? 

[1] Altera Corporation. (2017). Embedded Peripherals IP User Guide. Altera Documentation, (June), 358.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

We used this IP core on Quartus 15 and it certainly required purchase of an Opencores License through Altera then, so I guess you will need that if you want to do more than just evaluate it. 

Hope this helps, 

Ian
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Could you give me please a reference price about what you paid? 

It feels strange that FIFO isn't working. I will try with the 30 day trial for complete Quartus, maybe that way I can unlock it to test FIFO. 

PS: Sorry for the double post, maybe an admin could join them ?
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I can't recall a figure. I believe Altera probably waved the license cost because we are a big customer. They still needed to provide us with the key for Quartus though. I don't think the cost was ever very high but Altera don't own that IP. 

I can't remember any functionality issues without a license, only the inability to generate anything other than time limited SOF files. 

Ian
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It seems like FIFO is working OK but not reporting correctly de FIFO size. 

I'll debug it a little more using the time-limited SOF. 

Thanks for the help!