FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
The Intel sign-in experience is changing in February to support enhanced security controls. If you sign in, click here for more information.
6064 Discussions

F-tile transceiver IP simulation

SDe_J
New Contributor I

Hello Intel FPGA forum,

I am attempting to simulate the F-tile Architecture and PMA and FEC Direct PHY IP core. I have generated RX and TX simplex IPs, as well as the F-Tile Reference and System PLL Clocks Intel FPGA IP.

I created a simple testbench to instantiate these components, and generated the simulation script in Quartus 22.4. I loaded all this into mentor's Questasim, but the IP cores aren't doing anything. I've attached a screenshot from Questasim, showing the ports of the IP cores.

In the TX and RX IP cores, the '?x_rst_ack' signals are never asserted, no matter how long I assert the '?x_rst' signals (I've asserted for up to 1000us)

Additionally, the outputs of the Reference and System PLL Clocks are fixed at '1'.

Is there something I need to do to make the F-Tile Reference and System PLL Clocks IP work?

Thank you for your assistance.

Kind regards,
Sam de Jong

Screenshot from 2023-01-10 13-06-50.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution
skbeh
Employee

Hi Sir 

I have checked the user guide, out_systempll_clk_ and out_refclk_fgt_ ports are not supported for simulation, and there is no current plan to support this. 

There is a small note that mentioned this in the User Guide (page 110 and 222): 

"Ports ending in "_link" must connect to the F-Tile Reference and System PLL Clocks Intel FPGA IP. These ports cannot be simulated."

PDF link to this user guide: https://cdrdv2.intel.com/v1/dl/getContent/683872

The understanding is that the System PLL outputs are not visible in simulation, but they are operating "under the hood". This would explain F-Tile PHY functionality even though the System PLL *appears* to not be functional in simulation. 

View solution in original post

10 Replies
skbeh
Employee

Hi

For F-Tile PMA/FEC Direct PHY simulation, you can refer to the 'F-tile Architecture and PMA and FEC Direct PHY IP User Guide', see section "6.7. Simulating the F-Tile PMA/FEC Direct PHY Design"

PDG User Guide link: https://cdrdv2.intel.com/v1/dl/getContent/683872

SDe_J
New Contributor I

Hi skbeh,system

Thank you for replying. I followed the instruction in that document when I initially tried to setup the simulation, and what I showed was the result of that. The ports Reference and System PLL Clocks IP never changes.

skbeh
Employee

Please ensure you use the latest Quartus version (currently is v 22.4) to generate the example design testbench and run the simulation.

SDe_J
New Contributor I

Yes, I'm using Quartus 22.4.

I am running the simulation in Questasim 2019.2 using the simulation setup scripts generated by Quartus 22.4.

skbeh
Employee

According to the PMA/FEC Direct PHY User Guide:
PDF link: https://cdrdv2.intel.com/v1/dl/getContent/683563

Page 219:
The F-Tile Reference and System PLL Clocks Intel FPGA IP is required for F-tile PMA/FEC Direct PHY designs. You must instantiate and connect this IP for simulation and compilation.

Page 189:
The F-Tile Reference and System PLL Clocks Intel FPGA IP must always connect to the F-Tile PMA/FEC Direct PHY Intel FPGA IP or protocol IPs. You cannot compile or simulate the F-Tile Reference and System PLL Clocks Intel FPGA IP as a standalone IP.

So, please check your testbench to make sure the Reference and System PLL Clocks and PMA/FEC Direct PHY are connected as illustrated in Table 96 of above user guide.

You can also generate an example design from the 'Example Design' tab of the F-Tile PMA/FEC Direct PHY Intel FPGA IP, then you can visualize the connection.

skbeh
Employee

Hi Sir 

I have checked the user guide, out_systempll_clk_ and out_refclk_fgt_ ports are not supported for simulation, and there is no current plan to support this. 

There is a small note that mentioned this in the User Guide (page 110 and 222): 

"Ports ending in "_link" must connect to the F-Tile Reference and System PLL Clocks Intel FPGA IP. These ports cannot be simulated."

PDF link to this user guide: https://cdrdv2.intel.com/v1/dl/getContent/683872

The understanding is that the System PLL outputs are not visible in simulation, but they are operating "under the hood". This would explain F-Tile PHY functionality even though the System PLL *appears* to not be functional in simulation. 

SDe_J
New Contributor I

Hi skbeh,

Thank you for the clarification on the system pll. Does this mean the F-tile transceivers cannot be simulated at all?

I'm not seeing any functionality from the F-tile PHY IPs in my simulation.

skbeh
Employee

Not sure which QuestaSim version you are using.

Please use Questasim version 2021.4

SDe_J
New Contributor I

I have installed 2021.4 and still get the same result. Attached is the vhdl code which instantiates the transceiver and system Pll IPs. Is there anything obviously wrong? I read the F-tile user guides when I built it.

skbeh
Employee

This article describe about the out_refclk_fgt and out_system_pll_clk ports not toggling.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/programmable/articles/000088803.html