FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5741 Discussions

FFT megacore (variable-stream) sink_ready deasserts after dynamic size change 16->32

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hi, it is me again. 

In my previous thread on the FFT IP (https://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57800&p=235198) core I posted this:  

--- Quote Start ---  

I attempted to fix this behaviour by simultaneously changing fft size at the same time as SOP is pulsed - this is written in the documentation and I missed this the first time. However, I found a section missing in the documentation - page 33 of the May 2016 version of the FFT altera megacore pdf, the steps are not listed for changing fft size dynamically - It appears the section was started but is incomplete as it only states: '1. Change the size of the incoming FFT,' and nothing else before moving onto the next section. Anyway, I found that I could change the size up from 8 to 16, and after the pipeline flushes the data of fft size 8, sink_ready is reasserted and fft sizes of 16 are fine to be passed through. HOWEVER, when changing from size 16 to 32 in the same manner, sink_ready seems to never be reasserted, even after waiting for 1000s of cycles. I will move this to a fresh thread as the problem is now only semi-related to the original thread title.  

--- Quote End ---  

The idea is that I test my pipeline and FSM all the way from length 8 to length 256 which is the max size of my FFT IP. When changing from 16 to 32, my FSM cannot proceed further as sink_ready is de-asserted and never reasserted.  

I am going to attempt to fix this in the meantime, although if anyone on these forums has used the core before with variable size streaming implementation, I would be grateful for any advice/help. 

Thanks for your time. 

ap29
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

I found this thread which discusses sink_ready never asserting (https://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51097) - however, I believe these users had these problems due to resetn not being set properly when initializing the core. As my core works correctly for size 8, I think this is not the same problem that I am having. But it might help anyone that comes across this thread before finding that thread...

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Okay, I was able to fix this problem after carefully timing events as the size changes. SOP should pulse on the same cycle as fftpts_in is changed, and on the next cycle, I de-asserted sink_valid to prevent loading of more data into FFT while the FFT is outputting results of previous size. While this is happening, sink_ready is de-asserted by the core. This can now reassert when the pipeline is empty.