FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5886 Discussions

Fir Compiler II and User control

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi everyone, 

I'm trying to implement a 5/4 interpolator (from 80 MHz to 100 MHz). I have designed my filter with Matlab and I have already scaled the coefficients to integer in order to get a gain that is a factor of 2 (in my case 2^17). 

However, Fir Compiler II scaled my coefficients to different values. Why is that? Does it assume that we cannot design filter on our own? I use Matlab to design my filters and also to perform my quantization analysis. and I would expect Altera to accept my filter as-is unless I ask it to.  

In fir Compiler 1, we have to option not to scale the coefficients, but it doesn't support fractional interpolation. I would have to implement my filter in 2 parts (interpolator then decimator) which would be pretty inefficient. 

Does anyone have a solution or a workaround for my problem? 

Thanks
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i have an "enhancement request" in to Altera on this very problem. i think the easiest work around is a post-filter gain adjustment