FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6360 Discussions

Full Rate Mode in DDR2 HP Controller

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, I'm new to the High-Performance DDR2 Controller and have a question about the documentation that I hope some can clear up. I want to run my controller in Full Rate Native Interface Mode but I don't see any timing diagrams for that mode. Can anyone explain this, or maybe there is not such a mode? 

thanks, 

joe
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

All timing diagrams in HP controller manual are for native mode, full rate, as said at page 4-11.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, thanks for responding to my post. I looked at page 4-11 and I only see timing diagrams for  

Full Rate Write Avalon Interface, 

Half Rate Write, Native 

Full Rate Read Avalon Interface 

Half Rate Read Avalon Interface. 

But I don't see a Full Rate Native Interface Mode, which timing diagram should I follow? 

Sorry for being so stupid here and I appreciate your patients. 

Thanks, 

joe
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I refer to ddr & ddr2 sdram high-performance controller v7.2 user guide 

--- Quote Start ---  

These interface requests are for the native interface. 

All figures show full rate controllers. 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, now I see the disconnect. I'm using DDR & DDR2 SDRAM High-Performance Controller v8.0 User Guide documentation which is different than 7.2. Do you think there is a difference between 7.2 and 8.0? Looking at the timing diagrams briefly there appears some difference. Could you you at the 8.0 doc and comment on what they have when you have some free time. 

Thanks for your help, 

joe
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Looking closer at 7.2 I see that the local_addr is broken down into other signals this is not done in 8.0, do you know where I can find where it breaks that down. I've looked through the verilog code but I can't find that information.  

thanks, 

joe
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I downloaded Quartus V8.0, but didn't yet install it. I don't expect, that the basic decoding scheme of local addresses has been changed with V8.0 HP controller, cause the mapping is almost obvious and doesn't give much room for alternatives to my opinion. But I may be wrong. I also wasn't aware of big differences in local bus interface timing between half and full rate, except for the latency when measured in clock cycles. 

However, I'll take a look at the V8.0 HP controller.
0 Kudos