FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5952 Discussions

HD-SDI another methord?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i wanna realize HD-SDI on the CYCLONE series which don't support HD-SDI Megacore, is there any metnord can help me?:)

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You need to oversample data at least 5/4*clk speed like it is in SD-SDI non-transceiver mode. The line is 270MHz and oversample clocks are 337.5MHz and 337.5MHz+90deg. 

HD-SDI has 1.485Gbps link, so the speed is much much higher. Do the math, what oversample speed do You need and You'll see thats its impossible in any ways. I even had problems with SD-SDI internal clocking...
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

How about the method that place some serial2parallel chip(eg GS1559)? 

Farthur more,we can use CycloneIV,not only cyclone.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am not sure about that particular chip, but most common are National (now TI) chips. Check here. (http://www.national.com/analog/interface/sdi

You can use deserializer, however remember the speed, You'll have to work with... If it deserializes to 10bit bus, which is then 1485/10=148.5MHz clock - it is possible, but if You use speed more than 300MHz, it could be a tough task. 

Using Cyclone IV, which is smaller than EP4CGX30 (or EP4CGX40, can't remember exactly) it's impossible to use HD-SDI, even the transceivers are capable of doing such speed. Probably thats Altera market trick, to move You to the larger devices. 

Check the SDI User Guide, everything is written there - what devices support particular standard.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thank you very much!

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello LJZ: Gennum have evaluation boards available for their GS1559, you just need to provide the parallel data and a clock. Try asking your local rep.: http://www.gennum.com/buy/sales-network