FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6355 Discussions

HD-SDI another methord?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i wanna realize HD-SDI on the CYCLONE series which don't support HD-SDI Megacore, is there any metnord can help me?:)

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You need to oversample data at least 5/4*clk speed like it is in SD-SDI non-transceiver mode. The line is 270MHz and oversample clocks are 337.5MHz and 337.5MHz+90deg. 

HD-SDI has 1.485Gbps link, so the speed is much much higher. Do the math, what oversample speed do You need and You'll see thats its impossible in any ways. I even had problems with SD-SDI internal clocking...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

How about the method that place some serial2parallel chip(eg GS1559)? 

Farthur more,we can use CycloneIV,not only cyclone.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am not sure about that particular chip, but most common are National (now TI) chips. Check here. (http://www.national.com/analog/interface/sdi

You can use deserializer, however remember the speed, You'll have to work with... If it deserializes to 10bit bus, which is then 1485/10=148.5MHz clock - it is possible, but if You use speed more than 300MHz, it could be a tough task. 

Using Cyclone IV, which is smaller than EP4CGX30 (or EP4CGX40, can't remember exactly) it's impossible to use HD-SDI, even the transceivers are capable of doing such speed. Probably thats Altera market trick, to move You to the larger devices. 

Check the SDI User Guide, everything is written there - what devices support particular standard.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thank you very much!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello LJZ: Gennum have evaluation boards available for their GS1559, you just need to provide the parallel data and a clock. Try asking your local rep.: http://www.gennum.com/buy/sales-network

0 Kudos