FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5890 Discussions

How to: Simulate the UniPHY memory controller interface with custom logic ?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I've a custom logic which interfaces (in VHDL) with the Avalon interface on the UniPHY controller DDR2 SDRAM, I would like to test it, but I didn't results. 

First I tried to edit/connect the simulation project (Verilog) whit my block, after some fails I went to the  

IP Functional Simulations on External Memory Interface Handbook : Volume 4: Simulation, Timing Analysis, and Debugging.  

Than tried to use the ddr2 block provide on the <project directory>\<variation name>_sim\<variation name>.vhd 

but the problem is that I have some signals dedicate to memory exe: mem_a, mem_ba, mem_ck, mem_cke..... and I don't know hat to do whit it. 

I went to memory vendors web site and found some memory models: they are in Verilog, second some signals like mem_ck are not compatible (one is std_logic_vector(1 downto 0) ? and the other is a normal wire) 

Does any one know how can I test it ? 

Thanks in advance 

Rafa.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

the easiest way is to edit the Example Project generated by Quartus. it instantiates a basic memory model 

the project is located a path similar to: 

ddr3_core\ddr3_core_example_design\simulation 

the file that instantiates the memory controller and example driver is what you want to edit. remove the example driver and add your logic: 

ddr3_core_example_sim_ddr3_core_example_sim_e0.v
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,  

Thanks for the tip, only to be more clear, I'll have to replace the : altera_merlin_slave_translator declaration with my block ? 

Thanks  

Rafa 

----
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

yes, you should be able to ignore the d0_avl_translator_avalon_universal_master bus and just drive the if0_avl_translator_avalon_anti_slave bus