FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5950 Discussions

How to get the FIFO informations

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi all , recently i modify the reference design "a2gx125_qsys_pcie_gen1x4_11_0_1"(using a dual clock onchip_fifo_memory replace the original onchip_memory,BTW,thanks to the author of this reference design )to achieve the Qsys struct “I/O -> FIFO -> mSGDMA -> PCIe -> PC memory”.now the questions are: 

1) since i don't add nios in it , how can i control the fifo indata correcttly without nios? how can i get the fifo informations such as almost_full and almost_emputy in my logic design? 

2) if i complete iteam 1), i can't figure out how the PC know the my fifo is full,is it all about the pc software design , none of the FPGA's busyness ? 

i don't know how the pcie chain communicate to the pc , could someone give some help or list out some refferences for me? :confused:
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I suggest you start reading the Altera PCIe user guide: http://www.altera.com/literature/ug/ug_pci_express.pdf 

It explains the interfaces available from the PCIe cores. You will have to write a custom component to handle the Avalon-ST or Avalon-MM interface without a Nios. 

Using hard core on an ArriaII, you have to use a 64-bit Streaming interface, which means you have to pull apart the TLPs yourself. I recommend getting the mindshare PCIe system architecture book, that explains how TLPs should be generated and controlled. 

http://www.mindshare.com/learn/?section=11e3067e0ba2
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

appreciate for replying,i will try that.