FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP

Image Procesing

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am interested in doing image processing on embedded standalone system. I have following queries about that: 

1- I am using DE2 board and I am quite familiar with it. Could I make use of it for image processing? 

2- Do I have to use DSP builder or the image processing cores of altera for that? 

3- Can I make use of SOPC builder for generating the required system with using no NIOS II processor? 

4- When I installed the DSP builder it did not add the video and image processing blocks on simulink, even though I have executed alt_dspbuilder_setup_megacore. Can anyone pls tell me why it is so? 

Pls guide me.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

1. sure 

2. no, and no 

3. yes (but Nios is nice to have) 

4. the VIP Suite blocks were taken out of DSP Builder around 9.0 i think
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thanx for your reply. 

So it means that I should immediately start using SOPC builder for that purpose.  

Could you also pls guide me how to use Avalon buses which is required for what operation? 

Because the HDL code generated by SOPC builder seems not to be understandable.  

And do i have only concern with the top level module of HDL system thus generated by SOPC builder or some lower blocks also? 

Also I need a reliable medium for acquiring the image for real-time processing. So what resource of DE2 should i need to utilize?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i am trying to do the same.image processing in altera de2 board. 

but i am new to the board .i don't know how to proceed . 

please some body help me through.how can i start.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello  

I a trying to do real time Video processing using dsp buider. Can i know which is most suitable and cost effective board for that purpose?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

do note that the VIP Suite blocks were taken out of DSP Builder as mentioned above. you'll probably want to use SOPC Builder for VIP Suite now.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

how to interface web cam to fpga board and capture frame,and send to sram. 

will the memory be enough for ip in board.
0 Kudos