FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5990 Discussions

Instantiate PCIe PIPE PHY in Stratix IV GX?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm trying to instantiate just the PCIe PIPE PHY in a Stratix IV GX part, for use with a non-Altera soft IP core. The mega-wizard utility seems to let me use the PCI Express Compiler to instantiate a whole hard/soft Altera PCIe controller, but I only want to instantiate the PHY part. That option is greyed out in the mega-wizard though. Is that a separate feature that needs to be licensed or something? The documentation does not make this clear.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

For Stratix IV GX you need to use ALTGX to get just the PCIe PHY. The PCIe PIPE PHY is just for Stratix V and later families.  

Start the MegaWizard Plug-In manager and make sure the device family is set to Stratix IV. Then select ALTGX from the Installed Plug-Ins in the I/O folder.  

Once the ALTGX wizard opens, select PCI Express (PIPE) in the "Which protocol will you be using?" drop sown menu.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ah, thank you.

im30naa
Beginner

Hi. I've instantiated a PCIe PIPE in Stratix V. Its PLL is locked and its tx_ready and rx_ready signals are also 1. Meaning that the phy is ready to work. However, when I initiate a RX Termination Detection to the PHY, it returns 3'b000 with pipe_phystatus = 1'b1 meaning that no receiver is present. Although I attach a device to it. So, what should I do? Thank you in advance.