FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6356 Discussions

Instantiating TSEMAC in multiport configuration

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I would like to know if TSEMAC is instantiated in multiport mode say 4 port, then do we require 4 unique MAC address for accessing each port? And who will provide the MAC address for us? I believe that MAC address is provided by the manufacturer, so should we get the MAC address from Altera? 

for Multiport MAC operation i want to know whether the Nichestack protocol stack supports any scheduling algorithm? 

Also i need some help for my design, the block diagram is attached. 

My requirement is that the data from each PIO should be sent to different PCs through Ethernet. For eg, I should be able to decide the destination IP address to which the data from 'PIO 1' should go and so on. For this, is it necessary to use 4 port TSEMAC or single port TSEMAC is sufficient ? Also I need to write a scheduling algorithm so that the data from all the 4 PIOs is sent to different PCs continuously through single Ethernet link. Since I’m using a single PHY and input data rate 1Mbps max, i feel multiport is not necessary. Also I want to know whether it is possible to design a system such that data from PIO 1 is mapped to say ‘X’ PC, PIO 2 to ‘Y’ PC, PIO 3 to ‘Z’ using single port TSEMAC.. In short , I should have an option for programming a particular destination address for a particular PIO and get data continuously. For this I want to know whether it is necessary to use Multiport TSEMAC or single port TSEMAC is sufficient. 

Any help is highly appreciated...
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The single port MAC is sufficient. You only need the multiport if you want to connect to several Ethernet links (to make a switch or a router, as an example) through several PHYs. 

For your application, if you can use a Nios processor and the Interniche TCP/IP stack, then it is quite easy. The software can decide what IP address to send any packet to trough the standard sockets API. 

Altera only provides MAC addresses for the development kits. If you intend to design and sell your own system, you'll have to buy a MAC address.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks a lot for the reply, 

I had the same thought but wanted to confirm.. 

regarding MAC address, how do we buy a MAC address and from whome ? Please let me know...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sorry, I have no idea... My company bought a MAC address range a while ago, but I don't know how they did it.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi 

i need to connect to several ethernet link because i make a router by using triple speed ethernet  

but i don't have any idea how i can connect multi-channel shared memory with multiport TSE  

can any one help me
0 Kudos