FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

Instructions on implementing multifunction PCIe in Arria 10?

FZOVK
New Contributor I

I have read that the Cyclone V and Arria V devices support implementation of a multifunction PCIe interface, so I expect that the Arria 10 also supports this. If this is accurate, is there anywhere I can get detailed instructions on how to implement this in the Arria 10? Thank you.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
SengKok_L_Intel

Hi,

The Arria 10 and Stratix 10 devices support SRIOV mode that can support multiple physical functions. You can refer to the link below for the user guide of Arria 10 with PCIe SRIOV.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_a10_pcie_sriov.pdf

Regards -SK Lim

0 Kudos
FZOVK
New Contributor I

Thank you, SK. We would like to use an Avalon-MM interface to talk to our application layer; which ST-MM bridge should we use with the SRIOV (which has an ST interface) and is there an example of how to connect it?

0 Kudos
SengKok_L_Intel

​Application layer need to handles all of the Transaction layer packet encoding and decoding at AVST interface. This is not straight forward  for ST -MM conversion, therefore, i don't see there is an example. You might need to create your own logic to meet your design requirement. Thanks.

Regards -SK

0 Kudos
FZOVK
New Contributor I

Thank you for your reply. Is it possible to implement a multifunction PCIe without the SR-IOV module? We just learned that the license for this IP is expensive. We do not need any virtual functions, only physical functions.

0 Kudos
SengKok_L_Intel

​As per the user guide, the PCIe AVST support configuration space bypass mode, that allow you to design a custom configuration space and support multiple function. But I afraid there is no example available for Arria 10 device.

0 Kudos
FZOVK
New Contributor I

Also, if we use the SR-IOV module with only virtual functions and no physical functions, would we still need to pay for a license? My colleague indicates that the SR-IOV module did not require a license before support for physical functions was added in version 16 or version 17 of Quartus.

0 Kudos
SengKok_L_Intel

​Hi Sir,

Per my understanding,  a pay license is needed for you to use the PCIE IP with SRIOV feature. I would suggest you to contact your Intel FPGA local sales representative for the detail information about the ordering code and pricing.

Regards -SK

0 Kudos