FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6437 Discussions

Intel FPGA Avalon I2C (Host) Core

jsondergaard
Novice

Does anyone have an example or tutorial on how to use this core on an SoC? I have had success with the Cyclone V using other cores and writing to their registers from the HPS via the Avalon mm to successfully control and operate them. Other than the TFR_CMD register, registers do not retain their value when written to. The register memory maps and their offsets are very clear in the data sheet and I have checked multiple times that I am writing to the correct ones. Any thoughts or areas to check? This has been a pain to figure out. I'm beginning to wonder if I should take the long route and write my own core at this point. Also, as a side thought, is it possible to use the HAL files on the HPS instead of the NIOS II processor? Seems like it would make things much easier. Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
jsondergaard
Novice

The register addresses in the datasheet actually need to be multiplied by four. Everything is working just fine now. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jsondergaard
Novice

Eberlazare,

I appreciate the suggestion. This appears to be a different core than the "Intel FPGA Avalon I2C (Host) Core." It is also meant for a MAX 10 dev kit, so the hardware isn't quite the same. I probably should've mentioned that I am using the DE10-Nano from Terasic. With that said, the general Qsys connections I have on my end are relatively the same. 

Thank you, 

Jordan 

0 Kudos
jsondergaard
Novice

The register addresses in the datasheet actually need to be multiplied by four. Everything is working just fine now. 

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for the update, glad it worked for you. For Max 10 devices design, you may port it to your device lets say Cyclone V in Quartus.

Your IP doc for ref:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683130/23-1/fpga-i2c-host-core.html

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel Support are helpful, please feel free to give best answer or rate 4/5 survey.

0 Kudos