FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5954 Discussions

Is Transceiver Toolkit compatible with 8B10B encoder/decoder ?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I want to test a transceiver link on a Stratix V GX SI Dev Board. 

Firstly, I have successfully run the altera design example "sv_4ch_32b_6445mbps" with Quartus II v13.0SP1. 

Then, I have modified the example, mainly by modifying the xcvr_custom_phy IP in QSys: 

- different data rate and clock 

- enabling 8B10B encoder/decoder 

- adjusting the word alignment pattern accordingly... 

I have successfully re-generated the design in QSys and then re-compiled the design in Quartus. 

Then I have tested the modified design with the toolkit, I have obtained the following results: 

- The Tx transceiver seems to run correctly 

- For the Rx transceiver, the indicator "RX CDR locked to data" is green but the Receiver Channel remains in Yellow with the following indication: "TOOLTIP_STATUS_RECEIVER_CHECKING_BUT_NOT_LOCKED". .. 

The behaviour is similar with and without the check of option "enable word aligner". 

By looking for a solution, I have read again the chapter 11 of the Altera document "http://www.altera.com/literature/hb/qts/qts_qii5v3.pdf". 

In the table 11-4 page 220, IP core configuration is provided. 

For the Custom PHY, the following configuration is indicated: 

-Set lanes, group size, serialization factor, data rate, and input clock frequency to match your application. 

-Turn on Avalon data interfaces 

-disable 8b/10b 

-Set Word alignment mode to manual 

-Disable rate match FIFO 

-Disable byte ordering block 

Based on this information, should we conclude that it is not possible to use 8B10B with the Transceiver Toolkit ? 

Thanks in advance for your help! 

Best Regards 

Mike
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

if I am experiencing the same problem and I have reached the same conclusion, am I doing something wrong? I am using a Cyclone V so I am not looking at eye diagrams, just link ber. 

Thanks in advance
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hello, 

if I am experiencing the same problem and I have reached the same conclusion, am I doing something wrong? I am using a Cyclone V so I am not looking at eye diagrams, just link ber. 

Thanks in advance 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

I made this post a long time ago and now I'm working on different subject... so it is difficult to remember... 

As far as I remember, 8B10B is problematic for Transceiver Toolkit. 

However, I may found a functional test configuration using the "serial bit comparator" mode...  

Sorry for this poor support... 

Bye 

Mike
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thanks, it is a good hint to start exploring new possibilities.