FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5954 Discussions

Low Latency 100G Ethernet bring-up : read 0xdeadc0de

Renardo18
New Contributor I

Hi,

I am trying to replace the 40G Ethernet IP by the 100G in a new FPGA that I just bought (FPGA is stratix 10 : 1SX280HU2F50E1VGAS).

The link is not coming up, I am looping back 2 Ethernet ports of the same FPGA.

When I access the Avalon-MM interface, all the registers that I try to read return the value :

0xdeadc0de.

I am guessing it is not a register clock issue (as I wouldn't be able to read anything), nor a reset issue (as some statistics counter value would be 0x00000000).

Do you have any idea of what could be happening here?

Regards

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Deshi_Intel

HI,

One of the possibility is you are reading the reg from invalid/incorrect memory region.

You may want to check the reg address memory mapping in your design again.

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Deshi_Intel

HI,

One of the possibility is you are reading the reg from invalid/incorrect memory region.

You may want to check the reg address memory mapping in your design again.

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

Renardo18
New Contributor I

Hi Dlim,

actually I noticed that I had forgotten to enable RS-FEC in the IP, since I enabled it, my design is not able to pass fitter.

Fitter reports "cannot place node [...] for hundreds of lines.

My design is very simple and almost empty (only 10% of FPGA logic is used), it contains :

4 times :

[100G ethernet IPs] + logic to answer to an ARP or ICMP request (ton answer PING).

I am guessing the design is not constrained enough, I have generated the low latency 100g ethernet FPGA ip example design, and I got inspired by the .sdc constrain file provided in it. Basically :

for { set i 0 } { $i < $x100g_count } { incr i } {
set THIS_RX_RS_CORE_CLK [get_clocks gen_XG[$i].xg_wrapper|GEN_100G.av_top|alt_e100s10_0|WITH_FEC.fecpll|RXIOPLL_INST.fecrxpll|alt_e100s10ex_iopll_rx_outclk0]
set THIS_RX_RS_CORE_NCK [get_clocks gen_XG[$i].xg_wrapper|GEN_100G.av_top|alt_e100s10_0|WITH_FEC.fecpll|RXIOPLL_INST.fecrxpll|alt_e100s10ex_iopll_rx_n_cnt_clk]
set THIS_TX_RS_CORE_CLK [get_clocks gen_XG[$i].xg_wrapper|GEN_100G.av_top|alt_e100s10_0|WITH_FEC.fecpll|TXPLL_IN.TXFPLL_INST.tx_pll_gen.fectxpll|clkdiv_output_div1]
set THIS_RX_CORECLK [get_clocks gen_XG[$i].xg_wrapper|GEN_100G.av_top|alt_e100s10_0|xcvr|rx_clkout2|ch1]
set THIS_TX_CORECLK [get_clocks gen_XG[$i].xg_wrapper|GEN_100G.av_top|alt_e100s10_0|xcvr|tx_clkout2|ch1]
set THIS_REF_CLK [get_clocks cg_ref[$i]]

set_clock_groups -exclusive -group $THIS_TX_CORECLK -group $THIS_RX_CORECLK -group $THIS_TX_RS_CORE_CLK -group $THIS_RX_RS_CORE_CLK -group $THIS_RX_RS_CORE_NCK -group $TRS_DIVIDED_OSC_CLK -group $STATUS_CLK -group $REF_CLK

}

# set false path from PMA fifo flags' clock to clk_status (ex_100g_inst|ex_100g_inst|alt_s100|csr|eio_flags_csr[*])
for { set i 0 } { $i < $x100g_count } { incr i } {
for {set chNum 0} {$chNum < 4} {incr chNum} {
set RX_CLK [get_clocks gen_XG[$i].xg_wrapper|GEN_100G.av_top|alt_e100s10_0|xcvr|rx_pcs_x2_clk|ch$chNum]
set TX_CLK [get_clocks gen_XG[$i].xg_wrapper|GEN_100G.av_top|alt_e100s10_0|xcvr|tx_pcs_x2_clk|ch$chNum]

set_clock_groups -exclusive -group $RX_CLK -group $STATUS_CLK -group $TRS_DIVIDED_OSC_CLK
set_clock_groups -exclusive -group $TX_CLK -group $STATUS_CLK -group $TRS_DIVIDED_OSC_CLK
}
}

Do you see any constraint missing here? 

Thanks

aleytu145
Beginner

Hi,

Hopefully, now your problem is solved. Let me know if you need any help yet because i handled the same issue few days ago.

Thanks

Renardo18
New Contributor I

Hi Aleytu,

no my problem is not solved... Can you let me know how you handled it?

Thanks

Renardo18
New Contributor I

Hi all, problem is solved.

For 0xdeadc0de : I had an error in my addressing register, I was reading a wrong address.

For the placement : I updated to Quartus 20.2