FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

MAX 10 flash controller wrapping mode - non-functional

foft
Novice

I've been using the MAX 10 internal flash with success on the 10M08SCU169.  I am not using bursts.

I ran out of space on the device and was looking for ways to reduce my resource usage. The IP for the flash access is very large. So much that it is really impractical to use at all on the smaller 10M02, at least if ones own ip is wanted as well!

I found a post that the utilization can be cut a bit by changing from incremental to wrapping burst mode. Since I'm not using bursts I thought this was an easy way  to save some space easily. It all synthesized fine, however reads no longer worked. I verified on the signaltap logic analyzer that the inputs are provided correctly but still nothing other than 0 s returned from the ip.

I thought that using burst size of 1 was no supported, I changed it to 2 with on improvement.

Has anyone managed to get the internal flash ip to work with wrapping mode and, if so, what is the trick?

Has anyone attempted to write a replacement version of the ip, that works better without such high resource utilization? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

From the SIgnalTap, I observed that you only provide read signal for 1 clock cycle when you are using burst count of 2. I would recommend you to provide read signal at least 2 clock cycle when you are using burstcount of 2 in wrapping mode.

Please refer to Figure 18 in https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/max-10/ug_m10_ufm.pdf

View solution in original post

24 Replies
foft
Novice

So the fix seems to be to hold read until waitrequest is de-asserted.

0 Kudos
foft
Novice

i.e. this works

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I am glad that the solution provided works.

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I am glad that the solution provided works.

0 Kudos