FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6355 Discussions

Missing IP Cores in IP Catalog

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I want to use some peripheral interface IP cores in my design, specifically the SPI and I2C master cores. 

They are there in the document labelled "Embedded Peripheral IP User Guide" but I can't find them in IP Catalog. 

I am using Quartus Prime 16.0 Lite Edition. 

Is the full catalog not provided in Lite edition? 

Cheers, 

Wahab
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Launch Qsys and see if they are there.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

SPI & I2C are not available as IP cores in Q16.0. You can either purchase them from a 3rd party or write your own.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The QSYS SPI IP Core is located in 

/16.1/ip/altera/sopc_builder_ip/altera_avalon_spi/ 

/16.0/ip/altera/sopc_builder_ip/altera_avalon_spi/ 

/15.1/ip/altera/sopc_builder_ip/altera_avalon_spi/ 

The IP is in "europa" language, after QSYS has build the system you get the configured IP in vhdl/verilog in the soc/synthesis/submodules folder. 

The I2C component is located in /16.1/ip/altera/altera_avalon_i2c/ as verilog source. 

No need to purchase these IPs external ...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This IP does not exist in 16.0 Lite. Does it exist in 16.1 Lite (free), or just the Standard and Pro editions?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I use the Prime edition, in 16.1 are both, SPI and IIC.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

"Prime" can refer to either "Lite", "Standard" or "Pro" editions. "Lite" is free, is this the edition you're using?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

This IP does not exist in 16.0 Lite. Does it exist in 16.1 Lite (free), or just the Standard and Pro editions? 

--- Quote End ---  

The SPI IP does exist in 16.0 lite, at the location DUESTERBERG said. 

The I2C IP does not exist in 16.0 lite, but does exist in 16.1 lite, again as DUESTERBERG said. 

From within the GUI, neither IP appears in either 16.0 or 16.1 within the "IP Catalog". But they are accessible within Qsys.
0 Kudos