FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6355 Discussions

Modelsim error on altera_onchip_flash_block - Error: (vsim-3033): Instantiation of 'altera_onchip_flash_block' failed. The design unit was not found.

AVovk
Beginner

Hello.

I'm trying to simulate project with getting data from OnChipFlash.

I'm using the Lite edition of Quartus 17.0.2 and ModelSim - INTEL FPGA STARTER EDITION 10.5b.

I create testbench file to simulate the project. I start the simulation using "Tools -> Run Simulation Tool -> RTL Simulation".

When the simulation starts, I get following error on the ModelSim output:

** Error: (vsim-3033) c:/intelfpga_lite/16.1/projects/dac+nios_ltc1668+ad5791_fsm/db/ip/onchipflash/submodules/altera_onchip_flash.v(305): Instantiation of 'altera_onchip_flash_block' failed. The design unit was not found.

#  Time: 0 ps Iteration: 0 Instance: /AC_main_tb/main_inst/sin_data/onchip_flash_0 File: c:/intelfpga_lite/16.1/projects/dac+nios_ltc1668+ad5791_fsm/db/ip/onchipflash/submodules/altera_onchip_flash.v

When I comments the OnChipFlash module everything works well, but without extracting data from flash.

File altera_onchip_flash_block.v do not opened, because is encrypted file.

I find similar post on forum:

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004YzAZI/modelsim-error-on-altdualboot-and-alteraonchipflashblock-error-vsim3033-instantiation-of-alteraonchipflashblock-failed-the-design-unit-was-not-found

I tried to perform the actions as written in the post above with the substitution of my names:

1) Open the qsys files, generate the simulation model, generate -> generate hdl

2) Open modesim, cd to directory where the msim_setup.tcl

source msim_setup.tcl

3) ld

4) open the msim_setup.tcl and modify the top level from "OnChipFlash" to "AC_meas_tb"

6) add the following lines under vlog in "alias com" section, at the end, in this order:

eval vlog $USER_DEFINED_VERILOG_COMPILE_OPTIONS $USER_DEFINED_COMPILE_OPTIONS "$QSYS_SIMDIR/main.v"

eval vlog $USER_DEFINED_VERILOG_COMPILE_OPTIONS $USER_DEFINED_COMPILE_OPTIONS "$QSYS_SIMDIR/AC_meas_tb.v"

7) ld again.

I get following error:

Error: (vlog-7) Failed to open design unit file "./..//main.v" in read mode.

# No such file or directory. (errno = ENOENT)

If I start simulation using "Tools -> Run Simulation Tool -> RTL Simulation" I get error Error: (vsim-3033) .....altera_onchip_flash.v(305): Instantiation of 'altera_onchip_flash_block' failed. The design unit was not found.

At this point, any help would be greatly appreciated, or workaround as well.

Thanks, Aleksey

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Kenny_Tan

You make the AC_meas_tb as the testbench. Can you check inside the AC_meas_tb.v files, what is your module name there? currently, the tools are complaining the testbench issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
22 Replies
Kenny_Tan

Can u open a new thread on this? this seem to be different issue from the original one.

0 Kudos
AVovk
Beginner

I found the answer why FFFFF is always read from flash memory. The answer is simple: I always used a SOF file for programming, but when flash memory is used, I need to program a POF file.

PS: I apologize for such a long feedback

0 Kudos