FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6359 Discussions

[ NCO ] numerically controlled oscillators

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, i have simulated this NCO IP using small ROM options.Then i run the tcl script to simulate the waveform in modelsim.  

Now was it possible to display this sin and cos waveform on the oscilloscope? Using the audio out? 

The board i am using is altera DE2 board and do please tell me the step on displaying this signal on oscilloscope or vga.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Connect a DAC to it's output. You can use Video DAC for that I suppose, but I am not sure about audio DAC, since there is audio codec, not simple dac on DE2.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

by video DAC are you referring to Video in port and connect it to oscilloscope?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No, video out. 

As described in DE2 I/O features: 

Video Out (VGA 10-bit DAC)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok so i need to use the vga to pc lcd monitor but i could not find the info in nco manual to send the signal to the monitor. I wish it was easy like assigning the 7-bit segment like i use to do it in verilog.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No, connect NCO output to one of the DAC colors input and stick oscilloscope probe to that color pin in the VGA connector.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

does assigning the input sine wave to the rgb pin using the pin planner enough for this? or do i need to implement it in the vga_driver.v

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am not sure, check the datasheet of the DAC. Should be enough, since vga driver needs to generate vertical and horizontal timing impulses, which are not needed in this case.

0 Kudos