FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5990 Discussions

PCIe reference design does not work on various Dell platforms

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have been trying to get the Arria II GX development board running with the PCIe reference design, and I'm losing the will to live. 

It appears to work fine in a Dell XPS-730 machine, but it doesn't work in a Dell R710, a Dell R610, or a Dell R5400. 

With the Altera card installed in any of these machines, the BIOS reports "PCIe training error" and then fails to boot. 

Altera support claims that this is a Dell BIOS issue. Dell claim we have the latest BIOS and there is nothing wrong with their machines. I have tried two different BIOS versions. I can install other PCIe cards in all the Dell boxes and they work fine. I'm totally at a loss here... if the Altera PCIe reference design simply doesn't work in the world's most popular brand of computer, what can you do? 

Has anyone else encountered this problem before? 

I have tried the x1, x4 and x8 reference designs using both hard IP and soft IP, and none of them work on 3 out of 4 Dell platforms. 

The only thing I can think to do now, is to buy an expensive PCIe protocol analyzer and see if I can work out what on earth is going on here. 

Many thanks for any thoughts or help, 

Mike.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've noticed an old thread on this issue, but it's not clear to me what the solution is (if indeed there is a solution). 

The only option I see now is to ditch Altera and move to a different PCIe solution.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you don't mind, can you show the thread that you are referring to? 

I'm kind of interested in.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The forum won't let me post a link, because I haven't made enough posts yet. 

Google for "altera pcie training error", and that should find it for you. 

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I tried on Optiplex 745. Interestingly, this PC doesn't train up at x8 or x4. It only trains up on x1. i5/i7 only trains up at x1 or x8. I'm using x8.  

Check if your chipset or CPU is compatible with Altera's PCIe IP.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is there a list of compatible chipsets? My question would be, why isn't it compatible with all chipsets within the PCIe specification? 

I spent some time with a protocol analyser looking at what is going on. I found that, in some machines, the Altera FPGA never transmits TS1 traning sequences. This, in turn, causes the motherboard to go into compliance mode and transmit compliance messages. 

From this I would deduce that the PCIe core is not 'detecting' the receivers on the motherboard for whatever reason. Maybe there's a way to force detection by hacking the PCIe core?
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Siskin, 

I did see a compatible chipset list but can't remember where I saw. For my case, it was i5 which wasn't in the list because the list was somewhat old. I believe you do have to request Altera for that.  

It's definitely nice to have protocol analyser to sniff PCIe interface. I haven't gone down that path. So, I don't have much to help you on that. 

K.