FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

PCIe standalone design

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hello, 

I'm trying to use the PCIe IP on my DK-START-4CGX15N board. I don't want to use the chaining DMA example as a starting point. So I instantiated the PCIe _plus variant in a VHDL top design and tried to setup the minimal input signal to get the PCIe link up and the board enumerated by the BIOS.... 

This is my instance: 

----------------------------------------------------------- -- Constant drivers -- ----------------------------------------------------------- test_in(39 downto 0) <= (others => '0'); ----------------------------------------------------------- -- Component instantation -- ----------------------------------------------------------- THE_PCIe : pcie_megawiz_ip_plus port map ( app_int_sts => '0', -- Controls legacy interrupts app_msi_num => "00000", -- Application MSI offset number app_msi_req => '0', -- Application MSI request app_msi_tc => "000", -- Application MSI traffic class cpl_err => "0000000", -- Completion error cpl_pending => '0', -- Completion pending lmi_addr => (others=> '0'), -- Local Management Interface lmi_din => (others=> '0'), -- Local Management Interface lmi_rden => '0', -- Local Management Interface lmi_wren => '0', -- Local Management Interface local_rstn => LOCAL_RSTN_EXT, -- Board reset pcie_rstn => PCIE_RSTN, -- PCIe reset pclk_in => '0', -- Simulation only (7-11) pex_msi_num => (others=> '0'), -- Power management MSI number phystatus_ext => '0', -- PIPE interface phystatus signal pipe_mode => '0', -- "setting it to 0 selects the 1-bit interface" pld_clk => core_clk_out, -- (7-2) pm_auxpwr => '0', -- This signal can be tied to 0 because the L2 power state is not supported pm_data => (others=> '0'), -- Power Management Data pm_event => '0', -- Power Management Event pme_to_cr => '0', -- Power management turn off control register reconfig_clk => '0', -- "otherwise, when unused, the reconfig_clk signal should tied low" refclk => REFCLK, -- PCIe clock rx_in0 => RX_IN0, -- PCIe RX line rx_st_mask0 => '0', -- Application asserts this signal to tell the IP core to stop sending non-posted requests rx_st_ready0 => '1', -- Indicates that The application is ready to accept data rxdata0_ext => (others=> '0'), -- Pipe interface Rx rxdatak0_ext => '0', -- Pipe interface lane 0 RX data K-character flags rxelecidle0_ext => '0', -- Pipe interface lane 0 RX electrical idle indication rxstatus0_ext => (others=> '0'), -- Pipe interface lane 0 RX status flags rxvalid0_ext => '0', -- Pipe interface lane 0 RX valid indication test_in => test_in, -- Test in tx_st_data0 => (others=> '0'), -- Avalon-ST TX Interface tx_st_eop0 => '0', -- Avalon-ST TX Interface tx_st_err0 => '0', -- Avalon-ST TX Interface tx_st_sop0 => '0', -- Avalon-ST TX Interface tx_st_valid0 => '0', -- Avalon-ST TX Interface app_clk => open, -- Application clock app_int_ack => open, -- This signal is the acknowledge for app_int_sts app_msi_ack => open, -- Application MSI acknowledge app_rstn => open, -- Application reset clk250_out => open, -- Simulation only clk500_out => open, -- Simulation only core_clk_out => core_clk_out, -- -> pld_clk lane_act => open, -- Delayed version of test_out on ×4/ ×1 IP core interface lmi_ack => open, -- Local Management Interface lmi_dout => open, -- Local Management Interface ltssm => open, -- Link Training and Status State Machine pme_to_sr => open, -- Power management turn off status register powerdown_ext => open, -- PIPE interface powerdown signal rate_ext => open, -- Simulation only rc_pll_locked => open, -- Indicates that the SERDES receiver PLL is in locked mode with the reference clock rx_st_bardec0 => open, -- The decoded BAR bits for the TLP rx_st_be0 => open, -- These are the byte enables corresponding to the transaction layer's rx_be rx_st_data0 => open, -- Avalon-ST Rx data rx_st_eop0 => open, -- Avalon-ST Rx rx_st_err0 => open, -- Avalon-ST Rx rx_st_sop0 => open, -- Avalon-ST Rx rx_st_valid0 => open, -- Avalon-ST Rx rxpolarity0_ext => open, -- This signal instructs the PHY layer to do a polarity inversion on the 8B10B receiver decoding block srstn => open, -- ?? test_out => test_out_icm, -- Provide run-time control and monitoring of the internal state of the IP cores tl_cfg_add => open, -- Configuration Space Signals, Address of the register that has been updated tl_cfg_ctl => open, -- Configuration Space Signals, The tl_cfg_ctl signal is multiplexed and contains the contents of the configuration space registers tl_cfg_ctl_wr => open, -- Configuration Space Signals, Write signal tl_cfg_sts => open, -- Configuration Space Signals, Configuration status bits tl_cfg_sts_wr => open, -- Configuration Space Signals, Write signal tx_cred0 => open, -- Transmit credit tx_fifo_empty0 => open, -- Indicates that the adapter TX FIFO is empty tx_out0 => TX_OUT0, -- PCIe TX tx_st_ready0 => open, -- Avalon-ST TX Ready txcompl0_ext => open, -- Pipe interface, This signal forces the running disparity to negative in compliance mode txdata0_ext => open, -- Pipe interface txdatak0_ext => open, -- Pipe interface txdetectrx_ext => open, -- Pipe interface txelecidle0_ext => open); -- Pipe interface 

When I monitor the LTSSM state machine, I can see I'm stuck in polling.active. 

My test_in signal is all 0's as described in the user guide ("For normal operation, this bus can be driven to all 0's.") 

Regarding the documentation, the _plus variant is supposed to: 

--- Quote Start ---  

The _plus variant includes all of the logic necessary to initialize the PCI Express IP 

core, including the following: 

&#9632; Reset circuitry 

&#9632; ALTGXB Reconfiguration IP core 

&#9632; Test_in settings 

--- Quote End ---  

However, I can see a test_in input in the _plus variant component. Is it normal ??? 

As anybody as a clue on my problem ? 

One more thing. What is your debug process with the PCIe ? Configure the board restart PC when it dosen't work....you reconfig the board restart the PC........??? 

Thanks, 

Franck.
0 Kudos
0 Replies