FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6359 Discussions

PCIe standalone design

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I'm trying to use the PCIe IP on my DK-START-4CGX15N board. I don't want to use the chaining DMA example as a starting point. So I instantiated the PCIe _plus variant in a VHDL top design and tried to setup the minimal input signal to get the PCIe link up and the board enumerated by the BIOS.... 

This is my instance: 

----------------------------------------------------------- -- Constant drivers -- ----------------------------------------------------------- test_in(39 downto 0) <= (others => '0'); ----------------------------------------------------------- -- Component instantation -- ----------------------------------------------------------- THE_PCIe : pcie_megawiz_ip_plus port map ( app_int_sts => '0', -- Controls legacy interrupts app_msi_num => "00000", -- Application MSI offset number app_msi_req => '0', -- Application MSI request app_msi_tc => "000", -- Application MSI traffic class cpl_err => "0000000", -- Completion error cpl_pending => '0', -- Completion pending lmi_addr => (others=> '0'), -- Local Management Interface lmi_din => (others=> '0'), -- Local Management Interface lmi_rden => '0', -- Local Management Interface lmi_wren => '0', -- Local Management Interface local_rstn => LOCAL_RSTN_EXT, -- Board reset pcie_rstn => PCIE_RSTN, -- PCIe reset pclk_in => '0', -- Simulation only (7-11) pex_msi_num => (others=> '0'), -- Power management MSI number phystatus_ext => '0', -- PIPE interface phystatus signal pipe_mode => '0', -- "setting it to 0 selects the 1-bit interface" pld_clk => core_clk_out, -- (7-2) pm_auxpwr => '0', -- This signal can be tied to 0 because the L2 power state is not supported pm_data => (others=> '0'), -- Power Management Data pm_event => '0', -- Power Management Event pme_to_cr => '0', -- Power management turn off control register reconfig_clk => '0', -- "otherwise, when unused, the reconfig_clk signal should tied low" refclk => REFCLK, -- PCIe clock rx_in0 => RX_IN0, -- PCIe RX line rx_st_mask0 => '0', -- Application asserts this signal to tell the IP core to stop sending non-posted requests rx_st_ready0 => '1', -- Indicates that The application is ready to accept data rxdata0_ext => (others=> '0'), -- Pipe interface Rx rxdatak0_ext => '0', -- Pipe interface lane 0 RX data K-character flags rxelecidle0_ext => '0', -- Pipe interface lane 0 RX electrical idle indication rxstatus0_ext => (others=> '0'), -- Pipe interface lane 0 RX status flags rxvalid0_ext => '0', -- Pipe interface lane 0 RX valid indication test_in => test_in, -- Test in tx_st_data0 => (others=> '0'), -- Avalon-ST TX Interface tx_st_eop0 => '0', -- Avalon-ST TX Interface tx_st_err0 => '0', -- Avalon-ST TX Interface tx_st_sop0 => '0', -- Avalon-ST TX Interface tx_st_valid0 => '0', -- Avalon-ST TX Interface app_clk => open, -- Application clock app_int_ack => open, -- This signal is the acknowledge for app_int_sts app_msi_ack => open, -- Application MSI acknowledge app_rstn => open, -- Application reset clk250_out => open, -- Simulation only clk500_out => open, -- Simulation only core_clk_out => core_clk_out, -- -> pld_clk lane_act => open, -- Delayed version of test_out on ×4/ ×1 IP core interface lmi_ack => open, -- Local Management Interface lmi_dout => open, -- Local Management Interface ltssm => open, -- Link Training and Status State Machine pme_to_sr => open, -- Power management turn off status register powerdown_ext => open, -- PIPE interface powerdown signal rate_ext => open, -- Simulation only rc_pll_locked => open, -- Indicates that the SERDES receiver PLL is in locked mode with the reference clock rx_st_bardec0 => open, -- The decoded BAR bits for the TLP rx_st_be0 => open, -- These are the byte enables corresponding to the transaction layer's rx_be rx_st_data0 => open, -- Avalon-ST Rx data rx_st_eop0 => open, -- Avalon-ST Rx rx_st_err0 => open, -- Avalon-ST Rx rx_st_sop0 => open, -- Avalon-ST Rx rx_st_valid0 => open, -- Avalon-ST Rx rxpolarity0_ext => open, -- This signal instructs the PHY layer to do a polarity inversion on the 8B10B receiver decoding block srstn => open, -- ?? test_out => test_out_icm, -- Provide run-time control and monitoring of the internal state of the IP cores tl_cfg_add => open, -- Configuration Space Signals, Address of the register that has been updated tl_cfg_ctl => open, -- Configuration Space Signals, The tl_cfg_ctl signal is multiplexed and contains the contents of the configuration space registers tl_cfg_ctl_wr => open, -- Configuration Space Signals, Write signal tl_cfg_sts => open, -- Configuration Space Signals, Configuration status bits tl_cfg_sts_wr => open, -- Configuration Space Signals, Write signal tx_cred0 => open, -- Transmit credit tx_fifo_empty0 => open, -- Indicates that the adapter TX FIFO is empty tx_out0 => TX_OUT0, -- PCIe TX tx_st_ready0 => open, -- Avalon-ST TX Ready txcompl0_ext => open, -- Pipe interface, This signal forces the running disparity to negative in compliance mode txdata0_ext => open, -- Pipe interface txdatak0_ext => open, -- Pipe interface txdetectrx_ext => open, -- Pipe interface txelecidle0_ext => open); -- Pipe interface 

When I monitor the LTSSM state machine, I can see I'm stuck in polling.active. 

My test_in signal is all 0's as described in the user guide ("For normal operation, this bus can be driven to all 0's.") 

Regarding the documentation, the _plus variant is supposed to: 

--- Quote Start ---  

The _plus variant includes all of the logic necessary to initialize the PCI Express IP 

core, including the following: 

&#9632; Reset circuitry 

&#9632; ALTGXB Reconfiguration IP core 

&#9632; Test_in settings 

--- Quote End ---  

However, I can see a test_in input in the _plus variant component. Is it normal ??? 

As anybody as a clue on my problem ? 

One more thing. What is your debug process with the PCIe ? Configure the board restart PC when it dosen't work....you reconfig the board restart the PC........??? 

Thanks, 

Franck.
0 Kudos
0 Replies