FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5948 Discussions

PCIe to external memory in stratix iv

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I want to send data to my custom module with PCIe from PC to Stratix IV. I have used the chaining_dma design that sends the data with PCIe to DDR3 external memory on the board. I can read and write data by using of a software code that generated by WinDriver Wizard. But It seems that these reads and writes are not on the DDR3 memory address space.  

1- Should I set offset address to a special address for read and write on DDR3 not onchip memory? 

2- How I can insert my custom module to chaining_dma design and set it's input data to the data that recieved from PCIe (I don't know how to access the data that PCIe sends to FPGA )??  

Thanks a lot for any help.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

help me plz!

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I suggest reading the altera PCIe user guide as a start: 

http://www.altera.com/literature/ug/ug_pci_express.pdf
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank for your help 

I have read this user guide, but there is some problems with this design. 

I have changed chaining_dma design a bit: I have inverted "local_rdata" signal (that is read data of ddr3) and send this signal to pcie, but at the host side there is no change in read data in software. I guess that the software doesn't read and write in DDR3. Is it correct?